Output render file name

Hi!
What I need to write in Output>Filename to get something like this: blendfilename_camera_date_time.png or blendfilename_camera_number.png

I know that %F - blendfile name, %C - camera name, %S - scene name. But also I need time variables, because I need to make lot of test renders and now I need to write date/time or number manually.
Thanks for reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if/how you can get that info into the file name but you can use the stamp feature to print the info onto the rendered image.

I know that, but then it will still overwrite the file ;(

Problem solved :yes: Thanks to bdancer who add new variables! ONLY FOR VRAY BLENDER

%C - Camera Name
%S - Scene Name
%F - Blendfile Name
%T_H - Hour 24
%T_h - Hour 12
%T_M - Minute
%T_S - Second
%T_m - Month
%T_y - Year

3 Likes

Would love to see this for Cycles too!

1 Like

there is another way where you add number signs to the end of the file name, so if you have 1000 frames you need four number signs, example filename####.png. it work in cycles.

edit.

sorry forgot to say what it does, it adds the frame number to the end of the name.

ok so i went to use this in a video, and it didn’t work right. i had it as %S_%C_#### and that was the exact name it gave the file. is this for a newer version of blender, i am using version 2.74.

thanks

Little update to this thread (I should write it in February :(): Blender (With V-Ray Additions) from ChaosGroup is now using Python’s datetime directives.

Example from last 2.76 build from ChaosGroup Nightlies:

sorry i thought this was for blender render(wasn’t sure what vray blender was), thanks for the help, would love to see something like this implemented in the official Blender release.

Hi!

Yes, blender 2.8 now support render variables.
Enable Oscurart Tools!!!

@oscurart do you have a link to more info about that statement? I can’t find any documentation about it! Thanks

2 Likes

oscurart, can you show us, how do something like this with cycles? I enabled Oscurart tools, but don’t know how to use it.
I’m using script saved an *.bat file, that render many files with blender in background mode. For me is just hard always writing file name in output section. 2 years ago I was Vray for blender user too and used variables prepared by bdancer. Than I switched to cycles with success, but this kind of tool was very useful.

I’m also begging for some sort of variables or tokens to automatically create and update file names (and other stuff). Look here e.g.

1 Like

Thank you for fast feedback and link. I’m going there to some research.

In Blender 2.8+ enable Oscurar Tools and then you can use following variables in Render -> Output -> file name field:
$File, $Scene, $Layer
i.e.
C:\renders\$File\$File-####.png

1 Like

Hi all,

I have also been on the path to having variables in file names that I render. Specifically I am currently trying to have camera names in there. I tried the Oscurart Tools and they are a little limited, not to mention have little to no documentation at the moment.

I however found an addon that does do Global variables in the output path much better: it is called loom https://github.com/p2or/blender-loom

It isn’t perfect as of yet, but it certainly has a decent variety of variables. They don’t work in situations outside of just rendering the current scene, but I have made a request to expand this in 2 ways that may or may not come through.

I believe many people can find this useful. Hopefully even more so if the addon gets attention and love.

4 Likes

Looks like this was removed in Blender 2.91 according to other post in this forum

FYI …

One thing that was called to my attention recently is that – as it was before – each Scene can have its own individual render settings, including filename pattern and directory, start/end frame and so on. (I’m using version 2.9, and it wasn’t apparent to me from the present UI that this was [still …] the case.)

I use this feature when I’ve set up a bit of business and I want to film it from several different camera angles, of course storing the outputs separately. In the base scene, I position all of the cameras and name them. Next, I set up linked scenes, choose the active camera for each one, specify the desired filing target. Now I can quickly render all of the footage that I need simply by going through each scene one at a time.

Also, I would point out that the Workbench renderer is very fast, but still accurate. When I’m initially setting up a shot, I “crank out film” using this method – more than I expect to actually use – and use the Stamp feature to put various useful identifying information on each frame for use during editing. When I’ve finally decided exactly what part of that footage I actually need, I do the “real” renders, knowing that they will exactly match. (Always to “EXR” files.) The rest of the footage “winds up on the cutting-room floor.”

1 Like

How to do this in blender 3.1?

2 Likes