Ptex testing

The Ptex branch of Blender is about ready for some testing. If you’re comfortable building Blender you can get the source from the “cycles-ptex-49” branch of Blender’s git repository. It should build on all platforms with either SCons or CMake; if you encounter any issues please let me know. And please share test builds here :slight_smile:

There’s some preliminary documentation on the wiki, which includes a section on what I would like to include and exclude from the initial release. The goal right now is to get a solid and simple base for Ptex in a release as soon as possible, and then we can add additional tools for Ptex in future releases.

Thanks,
-Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

Are there any test builds available for windows?

Thanks

Carlo

Ill Use this post for dropbox links until I can get it uploaded to graphicall

Date - 2.13.15

Build -
Cycles-Ptex-49_Win7.x64-9b7bb29 - Now uploaded to Graphicall

Cheers,
~Tung

yey! @tungerz

I get “…blender-build/blender/intern/cycles/kernel/osl/osl_services.cpp:54:10: ‘Ptexture.h’ file not found” with cmake/Xcode build on OSX.

Thanks for the report. I’ve pushed a compilation fix to the branch, could you give it another try?

Sure. It now complains:
“…blender-build/lib/darwin-9.x.universal/openimageio/include/OpenImageIO/thread.h:57:10: ‘boost/version.hpp’ file not found”

Even though its in the the “…blender-build/lib/darwin-9.x.universal/boost/include/boost/version.hpp”.

Master compiles and links fine.

Guys, I know its probably trivial-where/how checkout above ptex branch to my local repo ? Some hint/how-to link pls )))

@bluecd, if you have a local copy of the repository you can run “git fetch --all” to pull down any updates, then “git checkout cycles-ptex-49” to switch to the Ptex branch.

@el_diablo, could you pastebin the full output?

Thanx, go it.

Thanks. Pushed a potential fix to the branch (commit dafa320)

Okies Graphicall finally played nice, It’s now live (older build)(Hmmmm… will it let this new one upload?) ô¿ô
If not, don’t fret…
I’ll link to a trusty dropbox link.
If it does upload it is on graphicall @ Cycles-Ptex-49_Win7.x64-2ba1274

@Nicholas,
Thanks for all your help bro
You have a wealth of knowledge my friend :slight_smile:
I’m still going to test cmake later on and see if its kicking any errors.

I really doubt this error came from your branch, but for some reason it kicked sm_52 Cuda Kernel =
http://www.pasteall.org/56590/text
I haven’t built master in a few days may be trunk related.

Happy coding bro ô¿ô

@bluecd
Using git just do a…
git checkout cycles-ptex-49 (or whichever version cycles-ptex-xx is current)
git pull --rebase
git submodule foreach git pull --rebase origin master

to get back into trunk is…
git checkout master

cheers,
~Tung

With tungerz build I get:

Traceback (most recent call last): File “C:\Program Files\Blender\Cycles-Ptex-49_Win7.x64-60ef72e\2.73\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_view3d_toolbar.py”, line 1069, in draw_item
layout.prop(item, “name”, text=“”, emboss=False, icon_value=icon)
TypeError: UILayout.prop(): error with argument 1, “data” - Function.data does not support a ‘None’ assignment AnyType type

location: C:\Program Files\Blender\Cycles-Ptex-49_Win7.x64-60ef72e\2.73\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_view3d_toolbar.py:1126

bpy.data.brushes[“Brush”].strength = 1

@el_diablo,
My build is for windows
You were building osx?

Yes, the build on OSX on my system is still failing so I tested out the Windows build you did. I got the python error above. Can’t get it to paint (other steps from the docs seem to work).

Ah gottcha,

@ Nicholas ^ related?
http://www.pasteall.org/56595/text

Although that Python error does need fixing, it shouldn’t prevent Ptex working. Probably something else going on, but maybe a new build with changes from today fixes it.

Error 189 error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘boost/version.hpp’: No such file or directory c:\blenderdev\lib\win64_vc12\openimageio\include\openimageio hread.h 57 1 extern_ptex
Error 230 error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘…\lib\Release\extern_ptex.lib’ C:\BlenderDEV\build\source\creator\LINK blender
Error 231 error MSB3073: The command “setlocal
“C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake.exe” -DBUILD_TYPE=Release -P cmake_install.cmake
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd
:cmEnd
endlocal & call :cmErrorLevel %errorlevel% & goto :cmDone
:cmErrorLevel
exit /b %1
:cmDone
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :VCEnd
:VCEnd” exited with code 1. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets 132 5 INSTALL

MSVC 2013 Win7 x64