Lighthouse Game

So, for highschool thesis I’m making an “interactive experience” (game). It’s going to be narrated exploration based. Think Gone Home meets Dear Esther. It’s going to be on an island with a lighthouse. I’m going for an older feel, like the turn of the century (1800’s-1900’s). Anyway, not much to start with, but here’s a start. Critiques are more than welcome, and everything is subject to change.

Also, please excuse the shading artifacts on the cabinet. It’s light clipping error, not baking issue.

Looks cool, but what´s up with the walls? Are they see through, or what crazy wallpaper is that then?

Haha. No, I hadn’t added in the walls. Instead of showing you pictures which is hard to get the idea with, I’ll show you a laggy video that is still hard to get the idea with.

Record in smaller window like I always do!:wink:
Anyway, I like the shading!:slight_smile:

Well, I’ve still been working, but haven’t had much time to update here. I’ve finally started the lighthouse for my lighthouse game (took me long enough). I have pretty much everything modeled and I’ve started texturing. I’m looking for a good texture to use as an influence map to mix the brick and “paint” textures (i.e. have the paint only covering a certain amount, and the brick peeking through underneath to make it look like the paint is peeling.

that weird thing in the center is a fresnel lens.

this is the kerosene lamp that goes inside the lens. surprisingly hard to find reference of these things.

And some more.

the entrance.

the spiral staircase inside.

Wow looks very cool and clean. Can´t wait to see this completly textured.

So, I’ve basically finished the lighthouse, and put the house and lighthouse together. I also added water via Martinsh’s water-shader. Unfortunately, I’m having some issues with it. Does anyone know how to fix it?

wader shader problem.blend (7.25 MB)

Mmmmm that brick normal map is great

Thanks cam.dudes. I wish I could say it was mine, but it belongs to the ever wonderful Nobiax. I have another little update. Sorry, but again it’s sort of low fps. If anyone knows the best way to have click ray/near based interactions, please let me know. I’m trying to figure out a way for when you click for it to create a property, which an object near/within a ray can detect and have an action as a result.

Also, I’m having a lot of problems with the sun lamp. it seems to be shading only a very small region, and no matter what I do, it won’t do even slightly good shadows on the stairs. Any thoughts, or resources on shading really large areas in the bge?

realy good job there man.
As for the sun lamp casting dynamic shadows in large scale is impoible for real time rendering even AAA video game titles are using lods on the shadows and at a further distance shadows dont even exists.
But for waht you are looking is at your sun properties the fractum size note that as you increse the franctum size your shadows will lower at resolution thus you must increse the size property (actualy is the size of the shadow map in order to fix your resolution on the shadows but incresing this will also increse the performance hit your shadows have in your game.If you dont realy need the actual shadows casted by your sun to be dynamic you will have to bake them note though that if your flashlight shines at the prebacked shadows the shadows will be still there becouse they are beciming one with the texture.
O and the actual glsl shadows of blender are not so good.
Another solution willl be leave the franctum size small but move your sun along with your camera(notrotaion) so a certan area around your camera will have shadows while further on will not

realy good job there man.
As for the sun lamp casting dynamic shadows in large scale is impoible for real time rendering even AAA video game titles are using lods on the shadows and at a further distance shadows dont even exists.
But for waht you are looking is at your sun properties the fractum size note that as you increse the franctum size your shadows will lower at resolution thus you must increse the size property (actualy is the size of the shadow map in order to fix your resolution on the shadows but incresing this will also increse the performance hit your shadows have in your game.If you dont realy need the actual shadows casted by your sun to be dynamic you will have to bake them note though that if your flashlight shines at the prebaked shadows the shadows will be still there becouse they are becoming one with the texture.
O and the actual glsl shadows of blender are not so good.
Another solution willl be leave the franctum size small but move your sun along with your camera(notrotaion) so a certan area around your camera will have shadows while further on will not

Well, no visual update, I’m afraid. However I have a question: The whole lighthouse model is just a group that I linked from another file. Whenever I load that file and start the game, everything is fine and as it should be. However, whenever I start the game in the file where the group is linked, two things happen. The first is a handrail at the top of the lighthouse disappears, and the roof material changes to the default. I can’t figure out why either of these happen. I checked the model that disappears in the source file, and there’s nothing off about it.

Well, I sort of fixed the problems in the above mentioned comment. Now I have a new problem. I packed the data into the file, and loaded it on my other partition, and any file that was linked, apparently wasn’t actually packed. Also, if any of you know how to use the game publishing addon to publish cross platform, I need to be able to do that. Also, I have an actual executable for you to play with! IT’s standard wasd controls, click on doors to open them. If the lighthouse isn’t there, or the house is empty, let me know, because then it didn’t export properly.

Anyway, this should work! It’s a little big. (40-ish megabytes).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwqbzYHVACcNZnBVUXpROHBkV2s&authuser=0