How do you make an object with a loopable animation move?

Say I have a character and I complete a walking cycle for it, but during the entire animation it’s staying in one place or walking without moving anywhere. Now that the motion of the legs is finished, how do I manually move the entire animation and create location keyframes for the entire animation itself so that I can control the objects’ location independently from its walking?

Key frame the position of your root bone, however, it may not look right as you should do this all in one go, i.e. move a foot, move the body, move the other foot, move the body, you get the picture?

Otherwise you can move the scenery past the character, this is virtual reality, you can move mountains, and the camera if you wish, but ideally, you should do your walk cycles as just that, not a walking-on-the-spot cycle.

Over to you to see what it looks like, if it doesn’t look right, start again.

I don’t really know what you’re saying but it’s wrong, because I’ve seen what I’m talking about done before. There’s a way to finalize an animation into some other form, and you can move it however you want and asign location keyframes to it.

Move the armature as an object, either under some other control or by keyframing it. The movement of the root bone should only be a local oscillation (if necessary) around the object’s centre to keep the feet in the right place as the armature object’s centre moves smoothly. If you animate the figure along its path by moving the root bone, the figure will get further and further away from the object origin with odd results (e.g. rotations will be around the now-distant object origin).

@BlenderNube

I stand corrected, even though you don’t understand what I said, or maybe I don’t, you work it out. You just took yourself off my christmas list.

Alius alio quisnam est non paratus ut loco vicis quod nixus in suus opus. One might say.

@Jaxtraw

I use this method repeatedly, particularly with IK chains where the IK targets are parented to the root, without issues, maybe I am just lucky!

Cheers, Clock.

If i understand what some are saying
I walk off the root bone in all my animations. Rotation works just fine.
There is the ice skating technique. It seams to get varied results but people still use it. Some results are OK sometimes ( when I do it) not so OK.
Sometimes I move the feet like looking at foot prints on the dirt and just leave the rest of the body and rig to stretch out. I believe this works great as you can see to adjust for whats around/ place the feet/ control bones more precisely. Jumps , slow steps for steep hills… Then place the body on every foot separate steep, that’s kinda the low point. Then every foot pass the other foot point. then go back and tweak, adjust the torso to follow/ bend under a branch, stretch out for a jump…
There is no good quick fix I know of other then using someone’s uploaded animations,