Orckish Warrior - Enemy demon

OK, so here I am with few hours of sculpting.
This is a render test just to have an idea, the shader is ultra basic and the lava veins are procedural, they are suposed to be in the creases on the final model.

I’m still in dyntopo and I’ve starting detailing the torso only so nothing is defintive here ( far from being).
I want to had hooky horns on the head and make all these stony details everywhere.

My goal was to create some kind of demonic lava demon. I’m not a concept artist so critics (not too hard) are welcome :slight_smile:
I’ve screen captured most of the work till there but I don’t think I will go much further for this step as it make my engine suffering… Whatever I’ll post the vidéo if of any interest.

UPDATE :

Here is the sketchfab model!
A bit too high poly I think as it’s based on the original. It’s my very first attempt in sketchfab

Attachments

Sculpting tip with dyntopo.
If you feel too much lagging and memory usage.

Just get out of dyntopo. Add a decimate modifier, try a value between 0.5 and 0.8 and check if you’re not loosing too much detail and apply it.
It will drasticaly reduce your sculpt polycount

It’s going to be another great model! Was the smoke simulated or added in postpro?

Thanks,

No it’s just a PNG upon it to give it an atmosphere.
Simulation at this point would be time consuming…

I plan to use smoke later on but I’m not super confortable with it mostly because it is sooooo performance consuming to get a good result.

Top part of the body is done.
I will start the legs now and then retopology…

Dyntopo sculpt finished.

This is cool. The stuff nightmares are made of. The hip bones feel a little to exaggerated to me, but that’s just a personal preference thing. Awesome work!

Retopo on the way…
Spent like 6 hours to get to this… I believe it will need like 5 mores and it will be OK…

Looks awesome, love the shader, and a great tip using the decimate modifier

Good work. Looks like you are populating your world with creatures of the same style that fit in there :slight_smile: But each of them has it’s own look despite the common style. Just out of curiosity: Do you work from thumbnail silhouette images when you start a new creature? The silhouettes in post #6 look good.

Hi Minoribus,

no I just worked from scratch on this one and used a human muscle reference (I’m not anatomicalt skilled enough for the time being).
I use the skin modifier to make a base mesh, subdivide, start sculpting and pray for the result :smiley:

I will post a timelapse later today, that we’ll probably give answers :).

Timelapse of the main dyntopo sculpting process I’ve used for my WIP Ember demon. He’s gonna be fighting the orckish warrior in a futur short.
Music can be anoying for most of you, just switch the sound off if so :wink:
End of the video shows the simple shader node for this preview render on a dyntopo sculpt and a quick turntable.

Enjoy… or whatever :slight_smile:

Retopo si now finished for the body.

I am, as always impressed with the quality of your work.

Thanks to Henri Heibeen who payed me a visit today, I know how to export a dirty map.
Very usefull, as form the dyntopo (best sculpt) to the ready to animate character you loose a lot of geometry contrast, especialy on this character, it allow you to recover creases and sharp edges informations :slight_smile:

Main shading is now done.
I need to make him some lava sword and proceed with rigging.

I’m hesitating creating him eyes, something to pop’up expressions but I also like this void… I don’t know, any advises?

I like the void as well but if you were going for an eye type thing, how about some weeping lava as below :slight_smile: re. dirt map you mentioned if you haven’t seen it already (you probably have!) check out 2.73 latest build the geometry node has a new node called pointiness for edges and well pointy bits which is awesome I’ve just been playing with it.

Looking great perhaps a little lava leaking out on a few other bits like the ref image rather than just glowing, looks bad ass tho :slight_smile:

Yeah I’ve seen this new awesome node but I usually play with official released.
also I needed to output it as pixel for painting and stuff. But yes this is super awesome info.

nope, i’m not aiming at leaking lava because he’s gonna be animated and I will play with emission intensity to create a briefing and expression effect.

thanks for your nice inputs

Pieriko this is awesome !

I really like the design ! Could I ask what lighting you used for this ?

one area lamp on the front an 2 planes with emission shader on each side of the back.