Do i need a powerful gpu?

Hello, I’m new here and to blender itself.

My question is I have an old HD 6870 gpu that i know it’s no good for blender, i also have a GTX 580 sitting on the shelf would i have any benefits on installing the GTX 580 over the HD6870 if all rendering would be done wit the cpu?

I’ve tried the “BMW benchmark” and my cpu is faster than the GTX580 even on Windows would i have any benefit on viewport or somewhere else?

Thanks

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

no u dont need a powerful gpu you can get the same exact results using cpu. ive3 been rendering on cpu for years . im using an AMD HD 5450 and get great results . ps keep this to yourself , or else all the gpu fans will start in on it .

no u dont need a powerful gpu you can get the same exact results using cpu. ive3 been rendering on cpu for years . im using an AMD HD 5450 and get great results . ps , keep this to yourself , or else all the gpu fans will start in on it . just bought a GT730 2gb ddr3 and no difference in viewport (and got rid of the gt , to many problems for me) .

I’m not saying I don’t believe you but your CPU is as fast as a GTX580. Wow! my 580 was about 10 times faster than my i7 4770 on the BMW benchmark.

If you aren’t going to use the gpu for rendering, then I would recommend the AMD card. Why aren’t you interested in gpu rendering? the 580 is a decent card for gpu acceleration.

@polygonesrus
I understand that you’re frustrated with your latest GPU rendering experience. But are you seriously going to vent your anger in each and every GPU rendering related thread now?

@marco26
If you don’t intend to render on the card anyway, it’s probably not worth the hassle. But the GTX 580 is still a powerful rendering card nonetheless - despite its age - and if you have it lying around anyway, why not just try how it performs on your machine?

Like Wig42 I also could feel my eyebrows rise a little when I read that your CPU outperforms a GTX 580…:wink:
What kind of CPU are we talking here? Dual-Xeon? Or some beastly i7?

It’s a dual xeon…but nothing fancy just a couple of X5650.

I’ts not that i dont want to run it, i dont like that GPU because it doesnt even support triple monitors.

check your tiles when you do gpu rendering that influences speed alot

It might be a bit of a driver hassle, but running a hybrid amd/nvidia system might work well for you in your situation. just leave the 580 in a secondary pci slot and use the amd for driving the display.

could be a best of both worlds situation if you can navigate the driver minefield.

Also recommend this.
It depends on the operating system but I used amd/nvidia cards under Win7 without problems. The only limitation is that you need to connect all the monitors to only one of the cards otherwise your programs will crash…

I’ve used the GTX 580 as my main card and used a cheap AMD card to run my third screen with no problems…expect that one monitor would be out if i booted to linux, my idle consumption would increase and most importantly i would loose pci-e connectivity. I run a sound card that i would have to remove i also have a raid card, usb 3 pci-e adapter, wifi…cant be bothered with that.