Need animator to interview/answer these questions basically...

I am working on my Senior Project in High School about 3D Animation where I’ll make a 3D animation as the finished product… I need someone to answer these questions as to use as my interview since one person I agreed to interview pulled out at the last minute and now I have a low grade in the class since I was supposed to submit it today and its a pretty darn big part of our grade…

If you guys want to answer these then PM your answers because I’m desperate…

1. Who are you and how did you get into Computer Animation?

2. How do you use 3D animation? For work? When you have free time? etc.

3. Do you think using 3D today is more popular than say, 2D or other animation?

4. How do you think 3D modeling/animation has been used outside of the entertainment business?

5. Why do you think 3D animation is so popular in society? Do you think it has to do with the characters looking more life like?

6. Do you think 3D software/animation has had a vast effect on society?

7. How do you think 3D animation and software became so popular? How did it start?

8. What do you think will happen to 3D in the future? Will more people try to make 3D animations or use 3D software for work? Will it be replaced by other means?

Thank You in advance…

Bump… Someone please answer…

Well, I can answer the questions if you want.

1. Name: Jovan Onofre I got into computer animation back in 1997 after seeing Toy Story. Years later, I stumbled into Blender back in 2010 after seeing a tutorial video on Youtube.

2. I am currently using 3d animation to create an animated series. When I’m not at work or school, I take every possible moment to work on it.

3. 3d Animation has come along way since 1995. In fact, it has become one of the standard norms in entertainment.
    2d animation is still being used but in order to create or enhance certain parts of the film, 3d animation graphics are used to boost the effect of that scene. For example, Disney’s Aladdin; if you remember the scene where the place tower was rolling down towards him, that was created in 3d and was integrated into the film.

4. 3d animation is also used in advertisements. Of course that depends on what product it is and what part of the country you are in. In order to create buzz and draw the viewer’s attention, it would be the path to go to help boost sales.

5. I personally think that 3d animation is popular because it’s constantly changing. The way that the characters move in 3d space allows them to perfect the movements and make it more believable compared to 2d animations.

6.Yes, 3d Software for modeling and animation has a major impact upon society on the world stage. Back in 1993, the only way you can learn how to do 3d modeling and animation is shelling out hundreds of dollars to buy the software. Even if you do buy it, if your computer doesn’t have the the right specs to run it, you will need to invest more money to upgrade. To learn the skills alone, you have to go to a three year to four year school just to learn the basics. Flash forward twenty years later, now you can just simply search for the tutorials online and it’s right at your fingertips along with places you can obtain open source software.

1. The software became popular once people found out, through word of mouth, of where a person can obtain the software for free. Once you say that word and demonstrate how much you can do with it, they will show up in droves.
    As far as how it got it start, I will have to say that it began with an idea and the right people to come together and create the program and perfect it as time moves on. Every program has it origins and even to this day, in order to overcome simulations like fluid and cloth simulations, they have to improve on the program to make it work.

2. 3d animation will continue to grow as long as people have an interest in the medium. As a matter of fact, the demand of 3d animation has grown tremendously and wanted by many corporations around the world. More and more people will continue to create a 3d animation in the need of simply saying, “This is what I made after weeks of hard work for the world to see”. Will it be replaced for something greater? Who knows what the future may hold. But if it gets to the point where it feels like a safe version of the Holo-Deck from the Star Trek series, now that will be a sight to see.

Hopefully, this will help you out.

How did it start…

IIRC, once upon a time, there was a program called POV-Ray… Persistance Of Vision Raytracer. In it’s original form, you had to enter equations that described the surface you wanted to visualize, so spheres and elipsoids were fairly popular, as were infinite planes with checkerboard patterns, since these were easier to describe mathematically than many other three dimensional forms. If you had the time and patience, you could also enter a small array that held coordinates for the endpoints of a triangle, and render that, as well.

POV-Ray had, or gained, the ability to describe surfaces by reference to points or line segments and distance, and thus NURBs were born.

POV-Ray was a sort of academic oddity, like creating ascii images of Snoopy, until someone took the time to make an image of ancient looking ruins, with reflective spheres and a checkerboard floor, and an enormous panther leaping off a wall into the center of the image. It was a highly focused image, and oversaturated, making it obviously CG, at a time when the ‘CG look’ was almost unheard of.

I think it might have been this image that brought 3D computer graphics to the attention of artist and animator communities, and provided at least some of the impetus to improving the interface between creative person and printed output. (Monitors at the time didn’t have the resolution needed for decent screen images, and color monitors had a lot of artifacts.)

POV-Ray itself was a rendering program, and the original team didn’t seem too concerned with developing modeling programs that would create the geometric descriptions that the raytracer would render. Which was probably a good thing, since it encouraged others to develop 3D modeling programs. It also established a ‘division of labor’ in the computer graphics development world, where some software modeled, and other software rendered, which has stood us in good stead, since it required at least some common ground by which different programs could share data.

A very interesting statement indeed.

I don’t know if I’m late, but…

1. Who are you and how did you get into Computer Animation?
    I started out as a Camera/Optical Tech at a company named Information International. They had one of the first 3D departments in the world. Here is their demo reel from then.I managed to get promoted from Camera Tech to Technical Illustrator. That let me get to know the people in the Digital Scene Simulation department. Later I went back to college and created my own program to study what I had seen them doing. They went on to work on Tron.

2. How do you use 3D animation? For work? When you have free time? etc.
    I use 3D for video, VRML, 3D Printing, videos in software, online, interactive 3D websites. I’ve been doing 3D animation professionally since 1985.

3. Do you think using 3D today is more popular than say, 2D or other animation?
    3D got started before 2D so it’s a more mature form. It wasn’t until programs like Toon Boom that 2D really got going. And 3D is more flexible. It can be integrated more easily in standard filming operations.

4. How do you think 3D modeling/animation has been used outside of the entertainment business?
    Too many ways to list here but including, architectual walk throughs, scientific simulation, 3D printing, advertising, and others.

5. Why do you think 3D animation is so popular in society? Do you think it has to do with the characters looking more life like?
    3D animation is cheap, flexible and powerful.

6. Do you think 3D software/animation has had a vast effect on society?

7. How do you think 3D animation and software became so popular? How did it start?
    3D animation is fun and powerful. As the prices dropped from tens of thousands to free, it became more accessible and more popular.

3D animation got its start at companies like Boeing and General Motors in about 1960, they used it for designing cars and planes. In 1962 Ivan Sutherland started interactive computer graphics with his Sketchpad program at MIT. He later moved to University of Utah, which was one of the first prominent computer graphics programs. It’s founder, David Evans teamed up with Ivan Sutherland to create Evans and Sutherland. Many of their students went on to be leaders in computer graphics. The first computer animation in a film was done at Information International for the film “Westworld”.

1. What do you think will happen to 3D in the future? Will more people try to make 3D animations or use 3D software for work? Will it be replaced by other means?

I think that 3D animation will be an expanding skill, expanding beyond films and games. As it becomes more powerful and easier to use it will be more popular.