New to Blender, trouble rigging hand

Hi,

I’m really new to blender but having lots of fun with it.

I recently drew a hand and wanted to try to rig it into different positions, but I can’t seem to do it right.
I followed online tutorials to set the IK bones etc, but when I try to curl my fingers the hand cuts off sharply at the end of my weight paint, instead of having a smooth curve that connects.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

it could be the mesh. It could be many things. It is best if you post a blend file.

Look at the weighting for the hand and finger bones. If the vertex group weights have a sharp cutoff, that’s exactly what the deformation will look like. You need to paint a smooth gradient between them.

Also I don’t know how much I’d trust any tutorial that tells you to do IK fingers. To begin with that is just absolutely not how fingers move except maybe while you’re playing a piano. You’re going to have a hard time getting good poses that way and even when you do the animation between poses is going to look weird. I always recommend this hand rig: http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/05/13/rigging-easy-to-animate-fingers/

Indeed. You really don’t want IK on the fingers unless it’s for some special application.

I think the issue here is before you get to weights. look at the bone placement. The extra bone is screwing you up, also the mesh looks too dense, sometime this causes auto weight to mess up. On a shape like that auto weights should give good results. better then a beginner can paint. Better then I can paint, if the vertex placement is good.
To be sure post the blend file.