Clothing Clipping Through Each Other

So basically, I have a character with multiple layers of clothing (shirt with an overcoat). I Parented all of the pieces of clothing to the armature, but it when I go to pose the character, the pieces of clothing will clip through one another.

Here’s the blend file:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3U75Ekc8pJ_Wmh3VDZsdzhkdW8&usp=sharing

Yup. That’s the kind of thing that happens when you have layers on an armature.

There is a mask modifier that will hide the clothing underneath the overcoat. Put the offending parts of clothing in a vertex group, and you can hide it with that modifier. You can use that modifier to hide parts of the body, too, if elbows and knees or hips start poking through tight fitting clothing.

So there’s no way to make them resist touching one another?

enable colition, and set the distance to 0.04. if you get the problem, just play around with the distance value. you want as low as posible, but without any clipping.

nice model by the way, but i would recomend you to make it less less dence and instead have a subsurface modifier. that way you can turn down the polycount for better preformance, and turn it up for more smooth mesh.

Changing the collision didn’t do a whole lot. The problem is, when I pose the character the clothing clips through. It’s fine when the model is in its default state, but as soon as you move the body in any way the clothing will clip through.

There is no general solution. The cloth solver uses various settiing (quality, repel, repel distance, etc. etc.) to try to work out the position of each vertex, in an iterative manner. Unfortunately, since all the verts move during the first iteration, it goes back and moves them all again in a second iteration. When you are dealing with a single layer draping over a single collision object, this process eventually settles down into a nice solution. When you are dealing with multiple layers, it doesn’t.

You might, maybe, with enough time on your hands, find an exact set of parameters that would work for some movement of your model with those particular cloth layers. Those numbers, though, would be almost guaranteed to not work for even a very similar situation, or even movement in a different direction.

You’ve got to remember, JigglyRitz, you’re dealing with an illusion of life, not a simulation of life. Get it to look proper, then move on. Use the mask.

But Masking the mesh doesn’t work for my mode (I have tried it). If I mask the clothing underneath It is very noticeable, because you can see that the clothing is missing from different angles, especially if you pose the character.

This is becoming very frustrating :frowning:

I had similar problems with the following video. Although yours much more complex.

I used a keyed deform mesh to pull cloth in and out of trouble onced baked. But you must bake each layer of cloth seperately. First get a good sim of the shirt, then bake it make it a colision. Then the over coat. Then amimate the deform mesh for each layer of clothing until it looks right. Make sure to key frame the good bits so as to avoid altering the cloth all the way through.

That sounds like an interesting solution. I’ll try it and let you know what happens.

Hmmm… What I’d suggest at this point is to make a very simplified blend with just some cylinders for the arms, a two bone armature, and put a shirt like shape over the arms, and a cape like shape over the whole thing, and start experimenting.