Composition is rendering slowly, no matter which settings

I colour graded a short video (30ish seconds) in the compositor. There are only four nodes:
Movie Clip, Colour Balance, Bright/Contrast and Compositor.

When I first tried rendering, it took a second per frame, using 1000~ M memory. I disabled things in the render layer and the world settings, and now it uses 100 ~ 250 M… but still takes about a second for rendering each frame.

I tried rendering with Blender Internal, Cycles, and via command line and the differences in speed weren’t enough for me to notice.

Is it be possible to “force” Blender to use more of my computer’s power and render faster?

(I use an AMD FX-6300 and a GTX 750 Ti. They have to be faster than that?)

Blender will use as much of your computer’s power as it needs.

Without the .blend file it’s impossible to say if there are any optimisations that would reduce the render time.

One second per frame is not slow.

Compositing is a post rendering process so if you’re just compositing a video and not a scene render then choosing between blender render or cycles should make no difference. Also only a few nodes are opencl accelerated so your video card may make no difference to compositing speed

Okay thanks for the responses, that makes me worry less about not seeing any differences by changing the settings.

I did the same alterations (colour balance and bright/contrast) in the VSE instead of the compositor, and when I render it from there I get about 5 - 8 frames per second rendered, which is reasonable to me. I think I’ll stick with the VSE for simple changes, although I still wonder why there’s such a big difference in speed compared to the compositor, when doing the same thing? Is there a certain reason for this? I’m genuinely interested, sorry if I come accross as annoying with these questions.