WIP Smoke rendering speed up

so, does it do a meshing of the volume, before render? so not the whole domain, but just the smoke gets sampled?

It obviously works, when it is not getting down quality or doesn’t have artifacts during animation, would be definitely worth it being directly in svn…

some info wouldn’t be so bad. Ok, I see, it speeds up rendering time of smoke in blender internal. What is that? What possible problems are there? How does it work? Does it work with cycles?

I’m curious how would that render, if you have a long streat with lights, with 3d mist, street lights in the back will disapear at some point, will that happen to 2d smoke as well ?

It looks like magic, I hope it comes out soon

Nice for you Albertofx, you dont share your stuff… so nice for you…

If it turns the smoke into 2D planes, how would it handle objects going through or getting surrounded by smoke (especially complex and deforming objects)?

If you would be able to see the edges of the plane, then I don’t know of just how much of a utility this would be, one of the main points of true volumetrics is to get away from having to use a card-based system.

Ace Dragon, you have a valid point, but I believe this can be very very useful when you have to render smoke alone, or as a separate background / foreground pass.

I had the same thought as Ace, what happens you have multiple objects passing through the smoke? Or a camera rotating around the scene of the smoke.

I realize Cycles isn’t iplemented yet, but I’m not sure how it could be. What about smoke blocking light from reaching an object (cycles) how could it do that if it’s 2D?

This patch would suggest a pre-processing stage, which means it would be a likely no-go for Cycles.

However, I think it is already possible to have the smoke texture on a 2D surface in Cycles (though it will just be a 2D slice). You would simply need to generate and animate the planes in the 3D view using a new tool.

Like I said. No changes will be made to the smoke. The only change will be the render speed and volume process.

Say more things. At this point there isn’t even enough info here to justify a forum posting. People are curious how it works, tell them. Unless you don’t want to tell them, in which case, you probably shouldn’t have posted it on a forum.

Stop it guys. Somebody here is trying to code something and improve blenders workflow . Can’t you just wait a week or two, or whatever? Even if it would’t actually work for most productions, somebody might find it very usefull.
So, while you are discussing here, he’s actually doing some work. So why wouldn’t he share a video, when he allready has something to show?
Maybe, if you start one day coding too, you will understand that you cannot release something unfinished, or the forum junkies will simply tear you apart.

So, Alberto, don’t let this disturb you, go on with what you enjoy doing, and yes, there are people here actually interested in what you are doing :wink: so thanks for your efforts.

We were just asking for information so we can better see how to use it for specific cases, no one is judging code, it’s not a sin to want information.

Lack of updates is fine but you could elaborate a bit more about it before you go. What’s the point of posting it here and not saying anything, your post is just going to get forgotten otherwise. What does and doesn’t work and is it going to be possible on Cycles? It’s hardly anything worth keeping a secret. You don’t need to say how it does it if you’re that worried about people stealing the idea.

This is a albertofx classic… Dont expect anything…

Any updates on this? I could totally use this on my current project!

I will release it tomorrow. It will be $10 on sellfy.

Would like some more information on it though before I think about a purchase. Will the product page have some details?

I’m gonna give it a go in a couple hours and post some info.