Creating an array of objects around a circle.

As the title suggests, I’m trying to create an array of object around a circle, or point.

I have watched 4 examples on yt, I’ve followed these click by click, but I can’t replicate the results. Every time I try this each object in the array gets larger on each iteration.

I’ve tried everything my little brain can think of, but I’m completely stuck. For such a simple task this is extremely complicated for some reason.

Help please!!

Thanks.

Every time I try this each object in the array gets larger on each iteration.
Ensure you apply any scale and rotation of your objects (Ctrl+A in object mode) or any scale gets added to each successive array object

Also ensure you have the object origins correct.
In the attached the monkey head and empty have the same origin location
The empty is rotated 60 degrees for an array of 6 objects

Attachments

array.blend (113 KB)

Ahhhh! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought I was going mad! That isn’t mentioned in any of the tutorials I’ve watched. I didn’t realise objects keep any record of their creation size.

I wish I could buy you a pint!!

You could also use bezier circle and use curve modifier below the array modifier

This sort of works but I find it very messy and extremely limiting, almost useless for general use in the same manner as the existing Array modifier.
I can’t believe there isn’t a basic radial-array modifier, it would be so useful and not very difficult to write. Now that I think about it, one could probably modify the code of the existing modifier. But I have SO many projects going on, I do NOT need another one beckoning me!
(I can’t find a python script for the Array modifier though and editing the main code is not feasible for me)

I agree, for something needed so much by so many it would make sense (to me) to have a separate modifier for a radial array, the way it works at the moment is certainly not intuitive.

I use Solidworks at work and I easily reach for the radial patterning tool more than the regular X/Y/Z patterning tool. (‘Cartesian’?)
On the other hand, Blender is not that kind of CAD. But then on the third hand, Blender seems to have a huge base of architecture-visualization users and that lies somewhere in between.
I can’t find my fourth hand so I guess I have nothing else to add. :confused:

i would just note that for some cases (and this seems like one) you can also use dupliverts/dupligroups to acheive this result. and when it fits, it’s quick and easy.

An old thread, but I’ll add my two words in case someone stumbles upon it.
So,
Use CAD Transform add-on:

Select your object, activate CAD Transform addon from the toolbar, hit R to rotate, pick pivot point of rotation, then choose axis of rotation (this step I found more difficult but if you’re in top view, it’ll just rotate around Z axis) and start moving your cursor. Hold CTRL and scroll up mouse wheel to add duplicates. Hit Enter to confirm.
I know it sounds a bit elaborate, but in fact it’s really fast.