Polar Bear Game Model

Hi guys! It’s been a while since I posted on here. Actually, it’s been a while since I used Blender or modeled anything (I’ve just been animating in Maya for school for the last year). But I’ve been following some Blender tutorials to re-learn the interface and I’m ready to get back into Blender modeling again!

I decided to start with something that’ll hopefully be simple: a polar bear game model. I’m trying to keep it relatively low-poly. I won’t be sculpting, retopologizing, etc. I’m just box modeling and hoping to do some really good work on the textures to make it look nice. I’m just planning on making a model right now, but since I’m an animator I’ll probably wind up rigging it too.

Here’s what I got done this morning. Using my photo references, I got my major shapes blocked in. Comments and critiques are very welcome!

It looks accurate, geometrically, but it also looks so low-poly.

The end of the muzzle should be tapered just a tad more in my opinion.

Yeah, I’m still just blocking everything in. I’ll be adding more loop cuts, etc. as I work on it more. And thanks, I’ll take another look at the muzzle!

Here’s my progress for today. I added in the ears and tail, made the eye sockets, opened up the mouth, began the toes, and worked on distributing all the new vertices to make it look less blocky. I’ve still got to add some more edge loops so that things will deform properly when it’s rigged. I’ve also got to finish the feet and add the tongue, teeth, and eyes.

Comments and critiques are welcome!

1 Like