Neon OPEN Sign

HI everyone, this is my first post here, and the work on display here is humbling to the extreme.

This is my work in progress of a larger neon sign project that will also have a neon logo behind the OPEN sign. Looking for comments and criticism! Thanks! Specifically, I am wondering if there are any details I might add to improve the look… I purposefully chose a thick clear glass, but wondering if I should dirty it up a little.

textures from CGtextures.

Looks good already.

How about a bit more light on the backwall coming from the sign? And I miss some glow? Good idea to model two tubes for the emitting parts and to use different shaders.

Yeah, though I feel the neon sign should emit light more, I don’t see the wall being purple enough around the vicinity of the sign.

Ground seems a bit too reflective, is it polished concrete?

About the same can be accomplished with mix and lightpaths node in Cycles. Splitting emission shaders using camera rays allows adjusting light cast by the tubes separately from that in the light emitting tubes themselves. This also allows keeping the model itself a bit simpler while providing an easier way of getting past some of the less desirable properties of the glass shader in Cycles. (IMO Cycles glass shader absorbs way too much light by default. Even when “clear” it acts as if heavily tinted.)

Glow effect is more an issue of compositing, which is a whole other problem. Sometimes wrangling those effects better involves rendering a lightpass and mixing with alpha. A bit of a pain in workflow, but more control in the end.

nice work , as said above you can add more glow effect ,you can use the material index to mask the neon then add glare and blur then combine it with the original render

Some time and some revision and experimentation has gone on since this first attempt…

And this:

Hi! First of all, this looks really great. I’m wondering if it’d make sense to add some variation in the illumination? I do not think you’d need a lot. But if you look at a lot of reference images, there is quite a few examples whose illumination is not constant.

Can we see your node setup for this? Best neon shader i’ve seen.