Kayaker WIP

Current Progress
Scene

Working on the second island, going to add in a smoke simulation for both the volcano and some steam around the island.

Character

Still no progress on the character beyond the initial body, been mostly focused on the scene.

Made some progress on one of the main objects in the scene. The kayak is pretty much finished, Probably just going to add some gear strapped to the center of the outrigger. Now to go back and work a bit more on the character.

Been working on modeling the scenery, getting ready to texture the island as well as adding some trees to it. So far lighting has been done using the sun position add on. Only thing I’m prepping at the moment compositing wise is a mist pass.

Getting some work done on the island, having a bit of trouble though, the rock is appearing much brighter than the actual texture so I’m gonna have to look into whether or not that is a lighting issue. Also have to touch up the rock texture because it just looks very uninteresting at the moment.

I also rescaled the island to where everything is to scale and at distance. I’m using the imperial units function so at the moment the island is set to a mile and a half away from the kayak. The ocean simulation does not go out that far because it did not seem to make a difference in the render.

I like it, it remembered me the game Crash Bandicoot.

I like the kayak, but the tree line on the island looks too severe. also the horizon looks too abrupt.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll try to fix up the treeline and the horizon.

Changed it two islands and the original is now more of a background filler.

Also started work on another scene object.

Basically the scene I’m working on is this:
A kayaker/photographer is capturing a volcanic eruption on the island in the right side of the image. I may move the island a bit closer, right now it’s set to two miles away.
Also I’ll be tweaking the colors of the kayak as I continue, right now I’m thinking of changing it back to orange.

So the camera is done for the most part, just need a bit of work on the camera mount. I’m assuming the camera is going to be a bit heavy and since that last part of the rig extends a good distance from the pivot, i’ll probably need to add in an extra support, probably something like a clip that can lock it onto the hull. Though I have the kayak fitted with outriggers I’m still probably going to add a counterweight to the camera rig that would help keep the kayak balanced.
The camera object has a render camera parented to the lens so that the image on screen looks like it is coming from the camera.
The camera object was also sort of a hybrid of some camera references I found but is primarily based off of a nikon camera i found online.

Now on to texturing the 2nd island.

Working on texturing and finalizing the second island where the volcano is. I’m hoping the chunks of rock coming out of the volcano are more visible once I get the smoke simulation in. Right now I’m doing research to see whether or not I can make the chunks larger. So far it seems I may have underestimated how large those chunks could be.