Aladdin Walkcycle

Hello

So this is my first project working from reference images, as well rigging a walk cycle.
I still have to animate the hair and add hands.

Feedback would be nice. tnx.:smiley:

There is something about that walk that looks weird.

Your need to go back to basics for the walk cycle, there are many tuts on youtube.

some pointers to help you out:
walk cycle is normally around 1 sec per cycle (for both steps). so if you work on 24 its around 24 frames, 12 for each step.
Right now your cycle feels a bit slow and floaty.

there should be as well some side to side movement of the hips, so it feels that the character moves the weight from one leg to the other.

the up and down movement feels a bit strange, it`s slowly going down and then pops up, try in the beginning to work with a consistent up and downs for the walk, after that you can play with that to give more character and weight.

The movement of the feet is also inconsistent, when the feet are landing they suddenly stop and continue
you can try to clean this things in the graph editor.

the spine eventually also needs some movement. in different directions. the head as well but you should keep it subtle.

I recommend removing the braid, and focusing on the basics instead of animating hair.

Watch references, read the animator survival kit or tutorials, and practice on bouncing balls.

good luck

Thank you for the feedback, I knew some things where wrong but couldn’t put my finger on it, thank again.

If you want to learn more about the basics walkcycles, I HIGHLY recommend Richard Williams’ “The Animator’s Survival Kit.” He covers the basics of how to do a walkcycle and I never do one without consulting his book.

Right now your main problem is that the hips and body come down before the foot hits the ground. As soon as the foot makes contact with the ground, then the body should start to come down and hit it’s lowest point about three frames or so after the foot has connected with the floor.

The foot kicking out before it plants on the ground is actually a nice touch! This looks very promising, so look up some walk cycle references online and study when the body goes up and down! :slight_smile:

Another way to look at it is that a walkcycle is basically a controlled way of falling. Work your way through the concept of how a controlled fall goes, and it becomes easier. You give momentum with your backfoot to propel your body over your front foot. In order for the body to balance on this front leg, which is now right underneath it, it needs to pull the back leg in, bend the spine sideways a bit and use the arms and shoulders as a counterbalast as well as a way to maintain momentum. Once you visualise this once or twice, things will look a lot better. It’s not soo much that the hips need to move side to side, as the legs more towards the center of the body to begin with.
Good luck!

cool, nice job