3D scanned person, crazy mesh

Hi All,

I have a 3D scanned object (.obj) of a person using the Structure Sensor that I have imported into Blender. The resulting mesh for this object is pretty crazy. It is all triangles and has no symmetry to the face. My goal was to animate the 3D scan of the person.

I am very new to Blender and have only been researching how to do this for the past 3 weeks. The first thing I came across was to do a re-topology of the mesh. I was able to complete this but still ran into the issue of the texture. If I unwrap the texture from original mesh, it is impossible to apply to my new topology.

So I have a few questions.

Is there a way to apply the re-topology to the original object (crazy mesh) thus removing the old mesh? I did try the CTRL + J to combine the objects but I was unable to access the new topology and there were several patches covering the original texture of the face.

Let’s say I have a separate mesh that I want to apply the texture from the 3D scanned person to, does anyone know of any software that has a different way of removing the texture? Or some way of taking a 2D image and applying it?

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Glen

Let’s say I have a separate mesh that I want to apply the texture from the 3D scanned person to, does anyone know of any software that has a different way of removing the texture? Or some way of taking a 2D image and applying it?
You can bake the texture of one mesh (high resolution original) with one set of UVs to another object (retopologised model for animating) with a different set of UVs

Render Baking http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Bake

Have both objects in the same location, select the high res model (the selected objects) then shift select the low res model (the active object).In the Render / Bake settings select texture and selected to active.