inkscape 0.91 released

https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/item/3854/

Thanks for the heads up! :slight_smile: Inkscape is better than Illustrator in many ways. Together they are complete :slight_smile:

well but still in many crucial areas Inkscape does not offer the same - sadly.

multi page documents, advanced typography tools and such

kinda a shame, inkscape (before AI bought freehand) had always the best pen tools.

nice! Waiting for the arch linux package

It looks like the latest stable version for Windows is (0.48.5).

I downloaded the 0.91 Source Tarball from the link. In order to use it, I would have to compile and build it?
Or is the executable in there and I missed it?

ZOMG, the end of the world must be near!

I suspect that the reason this flew under the radar for many is that they don’t want to do an official news post until the builds are ready :slight_smile:

The changes in this version are probably pretty subtle for the average user, but they refactored a lot under the hood. It’ll likely take another few releases to really see those seeds blossom.

@cekhunen, yeah, this is the disadvantage of them tying themselves to the SVG spec. The bureaucracy is understandable, but still enormous.

@Therahedwig, what other vector-based spec could they adhere to? Not like there are a lot of choices out there that offer the versatility of SVG.

I haven’t tried this new version yet, but I’m looking forward to giving it a whirl. Compared to Illy or CorelDraw, it’s been like working in mud, but I’m hopeful that will eventually change. Heck, Adobe adds the ability to change the corner roundness on boxes and they call it a major upgrade, so the progress on Inkscape could catch up if the programming team is diligent.

*Funny Edit: this forum software corrects and checks my spelling in real time (or is it the browser?), while Illustrator still doesn’t have that ability. Go figure.

I love inkscape! Made soooo much stuff with it. 2 things I can think off as “downsides” is that in illustrator, you could select all text objects, and got the option to see and change the type settings for ALL of them at the same time. In inkscape I have to select, go to editmode/node edit, select all the text, THEN change settings.
Multi page support would be a life saver as well. I wouldn’t need scribus anymore. Love the idea, hate how slow it is and how often it crashes on me.

I’ll definitely be upgrading to 0.91 once it’s in repo!

True if you want to make a web graphic app then SVG is perfect and fine. For that purpose Inkscape is spot on.

But if you want to have a competition to Illustrator or others then well it simply is a bottleneck.
Drawing vectors is one thing, what you can do with text styles etc a different thing.

But thats fine, Inkscape was never intended to replace Illustrator/Indesign anyway.

I just wish it would hahaha so I could let go of AI.

Very nice, and it has been a long wait, but great to see it is still being developed. Even though I have CS6 installed, I still tend to use Inkscape for my own work…but admittedly my vector needs are fairly meager. I look forward to trying the 64bit Win version when it is available. The Krita/Inkscape combo is just soooo good…gotta love FOSS!

Wow, glad to hear progress continues. It’s a great package and I use it a lot. Hopefully it’s faster now.

Repent, the other 3 horseman (Left Click Select, Colored Wireframes, and Linux on the Desktop) are sure to follow.

In all seriousness, it’s great to see this update and thanks for all of the hard work by everyone who made it happen.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/staging/x86_64/inkscape/
arch packages are up!

For me major drawbacks in Inkscape are lack of crisp fonts and CMYK. The power stroke is disappointing because you loose fill. I like that it now doesn’t decompress jpg images while saving PDF.

Now Inkscape 0.91 is released:
https://inkscape.org/en/news/2015/01/30/inkscape-version-091-is-released/

Trace pixel art -feature may be interesting, if it works…

Thank you for posting this, Razorblade.

http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/inkscape-0-91-released <<Libre Graphics World new features overview+interview with developers.

Thanks for the heads up Razorblade.

Congratulations Inkscape team, great release, thank you!

Interesting interview, Therahedwig, thanks for the link.