Transforms affect unselected objects

Hello all,

New to this awesome forum and new-ish to Blender, I hope I can learn what I’m doing wrong…

Here’s my problem:

I’m modeling a simple character, based on a tutorial, started from a box and modeled with mirror modifier applied. At some point I need to add another mesh object and move it to another location. So I exit edit mode, unselect the mesh I was working on and shift+A -> add another cube object. Now with ONLY the new cube selected, I press G to move it around but both the cube and the character object move around. This happens with every new object I insert. The only way I’ve found to move the cube without moving the character is to hide the character (by clicking the eye symbol in the outliner), then move the cube, then unhide the character. The same problem occurs if I select part of the mesh in edit mode and press P to seperate it from the character, in edit mode moving the seperate part also moves the (unselected) rest of the character. And, by the way, the same is true in reverse: if I move the character, all other meshes in de scene move with it.

When I try to recreate this effect in a new file, everything seems to work as intended: I start with the default cube, add another mesh and move one object around without the other object doing the same…

What am I doing wrong? Is this something to do with the mirror modifier? Did I somehow set my scene to automatically link new objects to the existing one? Did I inadvertantly trigger some toggle? Or am I just encountering some error?

Any help appreciated!

Ensure you do not have proportional editing enabled.
Toggle on/off with shortcut O or use the button on the 3d view header (blue circle icon)
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Transform_Control/Proportional_Edit

Oh wow. That simple… I checked and you’re right of course, I had proportional editing on. Switching it off immediately solved the “problem”. Another thing to memorize. Thanks a lot for the quick and accurate answer!