blender to maya rig

Hello,
I hope I chose the right section, I’m wondering if there is anyway to import the complete working rig of a blender file in maya. I’m an animation student and in school they’ve only been teaching us Maya so I have no idea how to work Blender, I just downloaded it yesterday. But I found a rig made in blender that I could use for an exercise. I’ve been looking for some answers in similar forums: I’ve tried importing the file as fbx and it kind of worked: maya sees all the rigging but they don’t work properly. So I tried importing the file as .dae but in maya all the joints were messed up… Is this an effort challenge or is there a way to do such things? I heard that there is no way, but seeing the rig in .fbx and seeing it work somehow, made me hope… Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!:yes:
PS: The rig I found is this https://sites.google.com/site/aligorith/umbrella-03.blend?attredirects=0&d=1

Sorry to answer your question with another question, but if you’re working primarily in Maya, why not just use one of the many rigs available for Maya? Like Norman, Groggy, Malcolm, MooM, Morpheus, etc.? Is there a particular reason you need to trouble yourself with finding a way to export an entire rig from one application to another?

There are literally tons of free rigs for Maya. Try http://www.creativecrash.com

Besides the fact that you can easily get awesome free rigs for Maya, to answer your question: you can’t. Blender and Maya work in different ways, even the bones are managed differently, if you try to import a rig from Maya to Blender you’re gonna get the joints all messed up. And not only that, Maya tends to use curves as controllers, Blender uses bones and only bones, they can take another form, but they’re still bones in their soul. The IKs are… they’re another case (just look around for IK tutorials for Blender). And on top of all that: Blender uses modifiers, Maya doesn’t. Sooo… I think it’s safe to say that it’s impossible to use a Blender rig on Maya or the other way around.