Alien

Hey all! taking a little break from human head portrait, and decided to sculpt something different. An alien bust. :slight_smile: Sculpted in blender, Retopo in blender (using pitiwazou and Icekings tools, many thanks ;)), UVs in blender, textures in mudbox, shading in cycles. This is still a very rough Work in progress, so C&C are most welcome. I am still working on the shader. The eyes will come once the shader is, roughly, completed. I am also rendering out a turntable animation, to show the shader a little clearly. Thanks very much!

-Bon

This looks like an interesting start of a project. Not much to comment at this stage, though. Where do you want to push this to, what are your aims for this?

Yeah, it’s just the rough outline at the moment. But what I am really aiming to do, is do something different from just human heads all the time, which is what I have found myself continuously doing. I want to experiment with textures, shaders, etc more. I might go on and give it a full body, and rig it. Anyways, made a few fixes, added some more detail in the texture, painted a new map in mudbox with veins etc, and overlaid it on top of the original. The lighting is pretty flat at the moment, but that is just because it is a basic light rig, just to see what the textures/shaders are doing.

Attachments

Looks nice!
And I thinks it’s definitely a good idea to take a break from sculpting heads from time to time and then later approach them again with a fresh mind. I should do that as well :wink:

Indeed it is! although, this is still a head, but it’s an alien one, lol. You should try it too! Just start by deforming the cube, and get a interesting looking creature. Anyhow, here is a little update, added a bit more colour in the veins and such. I also baked out an AO and a displacement map, and put them into Photoshop, and overlaid them over the diffuse colour map.

-Bon

Attachments

Another little update: Started playing with the eyes… First tests: (pardon the grain in the close up eye shot ;))

Attachments

Finished rendering the turntable, sorry about the low-res :

That’s a nice turntable.

I wonder what material the surface of the head is. It looks wet and perhaps soft because of all the glossiness. But there are also very sharp creases on the mesh which would not appear if the surface would be soft tissue.