Request-Bevel Shader for Cycles SVM

For complex models, it is impossible to get a decent beveling on sharper edges with the bevel tools.
Here is a complex model:

As you can see it is impossible to achieve a smooth bevel with this technique.

Here is the blend file for testing purposes:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/34042

So i’m requesting a bevel shader as a svm shader to overcome these issues, which is really needed to get smooth and nice results.
What are your opinions?!
Other engines like Corona or Mental Ray has these features already.
Best Regards!

I would love to have that bevel / ao / cavity map node thing people were talking about a while back no idea where it was though :expressionless:

It exist in OSL, but not with GPU right now.

I would like to have it too.

Hi tungee,

Take a look here, please:

You would find the solution!

It’s gonna be quite difficult if not impossible…
First of all, the mesh is not only complex, but is FULL of errors. Blender is a software, and your mesh is plenty of loose vertex in random positions, how can blender determine where it has to bevel? You have to clear it.
You can see in the wireframe that the mesh is very dense. What the bevel modifier ( and bevelling in general ) do is smoothing the outer edge you have selected, but:

As you can see it has a VERY tiny space to bevel, in this model in fact it can only bevel the part in red, while the rest ( orange) is ignored, because the red part is enclosed by all the unnecessary geometry:

I made it to clean it, here’s my result:

and here’s the file:http://www.pasteall.org/blend/34045

if you need help on cleaning it i’ll be glad to explain you how i did it

—EDIT—

Sorry guys, i often open a lot of BA threads, didn’t read/remember very well the title, thougt this was a modelling problem. By the way the method can still be used to achieve a good result

Like what was stated earlier, there IS a bevel shader available it’s just cpu only. I’ve used it and it works well. Its on these forums (don’t have time to look for it atm). Give it a try and let us know how it went.

Very well Thanzex, a very cool job! I agree with you!