texturing issue

I have a model that is made up of 4 separate objects. Each object has its own UV unwrap for simplicity. i have bake the materials on all objects and saved their bake UV unwrap images. so i have 4 separate images 1 for each object. When i select 1 of the objects and select the texture tab and load the image file for that object it applies this image texture across all objects not just the selected one. If i select another object it show no textures under the texture tab. If i then apply the texture file for this object it also applies it to all objects. How can i make it so that only the selected object receives the texture so0 that i can apply all 4 textures to 4 separate objects.

Are you using cycles?

It sounds to me as though the issue is that you are not defining each object as using a separate material, and thus they are all using the same material and texture.

I’m having issues with Texturing a Head With Projection Painting. My human head doesn’t unwrap correctly but looks like a crest moon shape not a human head. I wonder if while creating my head did not model it right? When I project from view I’m not seeing an image or will the image move in the correct position when I go to move it with cursor. When I go to open an image there is no image on the model to paint.

It sounds like you unwrapped all your models. Next time do a screen grab at the very least.

Use your UV editor to select via the drop dn the texture and model you are applying to.

Netcommrcial I don’t know what you really mean about… "It sounds like you unwrapped all your models. Next time do a screen grab at the very least. ",or to… “Use your UV editor to select via the drop dn the texture and model you are applying to.” You should take me step by step in order to explain the process to me. Let me send you the file and you can see for yourself when you email me [email protected]

model that is made up of 4 separate objects

Is “model” one mesh now? Can you move “objects” you mention in Object mode separately?

In the UV/image editor the unwrap models seem to stick together with the ears and eye models. The head model wont move or highlight when selected.

I did mean 3dview in Object mode, not UV editor window.

It is mentioned on forum quite often that supplied blend file or images/screenshots related to problems help to solve these immensely.
On the other hand limitations for new forum users prohibit attachments; nevertheless you could use pasteall.org to upload screenshots or blend file and post link as simple text from the address bar here.

Make some comment somewhere, add some lines here in this thread to get to the 10-post margin faster.

See my blender model here let me know if you can see how to fix it…http://www.pasteall.org/pic/83221

Screenshot is a good thing to have however you could zoom more to show head in detail. Well.

Unwrap is the cause of problem here anyways- there is no clearly visible facial structure, some face(s) stretch as a triangle over the whole UV space. As far as i can imagine (from what i am able to see…zoooom, please, next time) head and eyeballs is one mesh right now; you could texture them on one image however you would need to create UVs separately for eyeball(s) and face/head.
Easier is to separate eyes from head and texture/paint them separately. Also, if you would later animate, such separation is more logical thing to do imho.

To separate mesh into different Objects select eyeball mesh in Edit mode using L key and P to separate selection.
Next, use any of known methods (see some head unwrap tutorials) to unwrap head so that frontal part takes most of the UV space - you need more texture pixels for the face itself rather than for the back of the head which will be covered by hair likely. Use UVSculpt and Proportional UV edit, UV scaling.
When you are finished with head unwrap continue to eyes. Unwrap front faces of the spheres from View when mesh is positioned Ortho Front - you should get one or two circles in uv editor depending if you have one or both eyeballs in the separated mesh.
You can even position one circle above another in UV editor; when you paint texture both eyes will have same texture. Again, try to size uvs so that they take maximum UV grid space.

When done with UV unwraps create New image for e.g. head in UV editor and make sure you see same unwrap on newly created image in mesh edit mode with all mesh selected. Now you can texture paint head. Do not forget to Save image after painting in UV editor - Save blend file does not save image painting!
If the head has some material already, assign this image as a texture for the head Material; head is ready for the test render.

Here’s the Zoom in screen shot…http://www.pasteall.org/pic/83260

Much better however “Unwrap is the cause of the problem here anyways” still holds ;).

In my opinion as I said from the begaining the problem must lay in the model itself and not with the wrap, it’s obvious that the wrap is unwrapping the model as it sees fit. I’ve used your advice in how to separate the eyes and ears from the rest of the face by using L key and P to separate selection. I even reviewed the tutorial with Joshua Alger Texturing a Head With Projection Painting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZDMFkj8GqA, so if you would go to the pasteall link. The head is unwrapped again using your method and looks a lot worst. I can’t tell what it is. I think the best thing here is to start over with a fresh model.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/83461

I made great progress after I re did the head. I saw better results with my wraps. Why is there blank gray area near the ears? Any body knows? http://www.pasteall.org/pic/85223

Not that one could know exactly without seeing the file - either this is another piece of mesh or these faces haven’t got material for some reason.
For the question of unwrapping - if you Google for images “face unwrap” you’ll see shape of facial mesh laid out flat, not tangled and not having spurious triangles covering half of the UV space. This is what you should try to get to after paint faces successfully.