Need procedural blurred edges

Hi there,

I was wondering if there’s a way to procedurally blur the edges of a material on an object. For instance, if I have an emit material node and I plug this blur feature to its colour channel, I’ll get a gradient on the edges (based on the geometry of the mesh to which it’s applied) starting from dark to the a definable colour or texture. So this set up should just multiply this itself on it the surface.

Is there any way this could be accomplished or HAS been accomplished? I seems to work with ramps but I’ve to set it for each edge. If I could be shown the direction I should take, it’d be really helpful

Thanks,
Tim

What renderer are you using? In Cycles, you might consider using a Layer Weight node similar to Blender Guru’s space ship tutorial.

Hi!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. It’s cycles. I can use layer weight. Thanks. But the blur will be dependent on the viewing angles, won’t it?I’ve realized that I’ve not been clear in defining my question.

What I’m looking for is a mostly for blurring the edges of the emit planes that I use in lighting anything. I’m resorting to using a radial greyscale image now but was curious if this could be done with just the material set up.

Thanks for your response, Craig :slight_smile:

blend texture as stencil between transparent and emission shaders then maybe…