Superluminal - Sci-Fi Short

The result of around four months of production for my A-level Fine Art project is this, Superluminal, my first proper short film, depicting a mission to deep space interspersed with the first Moon landing in 1969.

Shot on a Canon 650D with a Cinemorph lens filter, with all animation created in Blender and some post work in After Effects. I built a physical set for the spacecraft interior, unfortunately much of that had to be cut out to focus more on the space imagery but I think it helps to sell the effect better than a greenscreen would have done.

The total file size of the project including all footage and CG shots was nearly 100GB! It’s been very much a labour of love with many late nights fixing and tweaking stuff. I may in the future be creating a longer version with music composed especially for it and dialogue as well, but this version is just to meet the criteria of my course.

Hope you enjoy!

Many thanks,
Ben

Attachments

Very cool. I like the live action/stock mixed with cgi very well done.

I love it! great story and CGI!

Great work, Ben! I thought the editing was well done, especially for your first short film! I’m impressed that you were able to get it all done in 4 months! There were a lot of nice cinematic shots- one of my favorites is of the craft traveling by the planet at 2:04; it’s a lovely looking shot by itself, but also reminded me of some of the shots in The Fountain, of the “bubble” ship traveling through the hugeness of space.

Great work all around! My only nitpick is that it was a little jarring to see the alien creature when it first appeared- it kinda popped into the film suddenly, and changed the tone of the piece a little, but it wasn’t too bad. Incredible job, I hope you continue to make more films after you make a full recovery from this one!

I definitely admire the effort, I just didn’t get much out of it. Seems like you’re trying to tell a deep, gritty Interstellar-type story with the budget of less than a B movie. Personally for my first effort I would have gone with something more simplistic, maybe something cartoon-ish or surreal, wait until I had the resource before delving into more serious things. Again though, I commend the effort.

Wow, it turned out great! I agree with James, the alien seemed a bit out of place at first sight, but fit the film in the end. Great job! Again, love the music and the editing. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your feedback guys!

I’ve made an alternative edit which I will be submitting along with the first one as a sort of more ‘arty’ version.

Nice job, I really like how you put it all together.