how to fix mesh to use subsurf properly

I’m totally new to blender and trying to improve my modeling skills.

I’m trying to produce quad-based models, because I was told that’s the way of a true blender-samurai. :slight_smile:

Now I’m modeling a rounded baseplate with some holes in it.

As starting point I’ve used an circle and the mirror modifier on X and Y.

Now I would like to round the corners a bit by using subsurf modifier. Somehow the modifier produces an (for me) unexpected result - the plate has kind of bumps (see image).

How can I get rid of these bumps?
Can I fix my mesh? Or should I come up with a different mesh style - how?

here is my blender-file:

Thank you in advance for your time.

You have faces inside your mesh, presumably from when you mirrored it. Delete them as well as anything else inside the object (select and press X)

Might also want to add a continuous supporting edge loop near the outer edge. Fastest way to do that is to select the outer face loops around the rim and do an outset (alt+(shift+)RMB to select face loops, i to inset and o to switch to outset mode)

Selection and added face loop after outset (green).

Thank you guys! Ok, so inside faces are evil - got this.

Still have some trouble with the mirror/subsurf usage…

I tried to do exact as JA12 suggested and tried to mirror XYZ and subsurf the model. But it end up messy :confused:

I’ve checked for: inside faces, clipping and merging is activated, double faces deleted, normals recalculated but this happens:

Does anyone know what is going on and how to avoid/fix this?

blender-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvizvidird0i7p9/skateboard_parts2.blend?dl=0

Thank you in advance!

My take on it.

Attachments

Plate.blend (447 KB)

It still has edges inside. Those are mesh errors and give a impossible mesh. The vertices/edges don’t line up with the object origin that the mirror modifier uses by default, they’re off along X and Z, so it won’t merge vertices at those planes. Clipping option helps to move those edges along corresponding axes so that they do line up, they snap on the mirror plane.

Polygonal modeling is surface type modeling. You’re trying to describe a continuous outside surface with this and those extra edges are not part of it. Same with what the mirror modifier is for - in this case you’re using it to model 1/8 of it, while the mirror completes the surface. Just have to make sure it does that.

Once the extra edges are gone and edges align for mirroring, the model subdivides as it should.