Game/Linking Question!

Hey everyone

I didn’t know where i should post this exactly, but i think this might be the right one. Anyway; for a schoolproject i’ve been making a school with computers in it. The goal is to make a ‘‘game’’ out of it where the people can wander around. I have to put up a server with clients though. I was wondering if there was any way i could connect my VM (VirtualMachines) to my screens in the blender game.

Anyway, i’m a beginner at gaming in blender or at python for that matter. Any ideas?

Grtz
GlennD

If your game is “exploring the school” I do not see why you need a client-server architecture. Maybe you are aiming for a multi-player game?

Well I’m doing a combination of my studies (network) and evening studies (making a basic game in Blender). Would love to combine those too, but I don’t know how i could link my texture to the screen; and my button to the ‘‘start Virtual Machine’’ in VM :wink: I’d love to finish this project though, or do u guys think it’s a lost cause :wink:

In a typical network game each client gets an instance of the same game. The clients synchronize certain data via networking messages. The data can have different meaning on each client. E.g. player position is a “npc” position on the other instances.

Usually you do not transfer any textures over the network. That is way to much data for realtime. If you need you could do a file transfer before hand, so you can dynamically load it in the game. Nevertheless it is not impossible, just slow.

If you want to “remote control” other applications (starting a virtual machine), you can do a similar thing by talking to a “remote controlled client”, which can start an application on the client it is running on.

Edit:
I still might mis-understood you. You might mean a “Virtual Machine” is an object inside the game that acts like it is a computer terminal?

If so you can either manipulate the UV textures of the mesh (search for UV-scroll), or you use Videotexture. It even allows to play videos as texture. Dynamic Texture might help.

Yes Indeed! If u enter the room u have par example 5 PC’s.

Here is an example of what 1VM looks like:

So i should be able to see this per computer; where i can then power on this virtual machine. Dynamic Texture looks very promising though (although i noticed it’s only video and image). Any other plugins I could manage?

Already big thanks for the help :slight_smile: The game will be local though, so size doesn’t matter; it doesn’t need to be shared over a network :slight_smile:

Hmm, it sounds like you want to make a mini MMORPG. Seeing as you are a beginner, that’s not going to be an easy start. Networking can get complicated due to its asynchronous nature.

Although, do clarify VM because its meaning depends on the context, i.e. VM in the context of virtualization software like Xen or VirtualBox.

Yeah as in the screenshot above: it’s VM workstation 10.0 :wink: