Flattening n-gons

Hi there,

So I made a model of a dog’s head using triangles and simplified some areas by deleting the adjoining edge of 2 triangles to make a 4 vertices n-gon. These n-gons are obviously not flat and the goal is to make them flat since I want to export it to paper models. So I had the idea of exporting it as a uv map to flatten the n-gons but I have no idea how to use the uv map to remesh it back to the 3d shape…

In short, is there a way to use a uv map to make a 3d mesh?

I guess I can use it as a blueprint and mesh it over, but I don’t have a clue how I’m going to retain the area of each face as not to distort it…

If you got the model fully triangulated, you can rotate one vertex around the center of the opposite edge, using [snap curor to selected] and rotating around the cursor. That shouldn’t mess with the triangle area.

@modron - thank you. I’m actually using that script to export it to paper models and what a fabulous script it is! but like you said, it doesn’t work very well with n-gons since they are not flat…
I’m wondering if there’s a way to make the n-gons in my mesh flat so it would work well with the export paper model script :confused:

@ovnuniarchos - will try. seems like a good idea