Best 300 dollar GPU for rendering?

Hello all fellow 3D artists. I’m looking at purchasing a new GPU specifically for rendering in cycles, or Octane render if I decide to pick it up. I currently have a Radeon R9 270, which obviously doesn’t work for GPU rendering. My budget is 300 dollars and I’m currently looking at a Geforce GTX 760 4gb SC card. Is that a good option? What’s the best bang for buck GPU around 300 dollars?

Thanks in advance, Malcolm.

Hi, I have a GTX 760 4 GB and it is fine so far but I would look for the GTX 970 4 GB.
It is a bit over 300 $ but it is faster and need less power.
I will add a link to my latest benchmark results here.

Cheers, mib

EDIT: http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?359492-The-new-Cycles-GPU-2-73-Benchmark&p=2806145&viewfull=1#post2806145

Ok thanks for the reply, guess I’ll go with the GTX 760 as the 970 costs a bit more than I’m willing to spend. One more question though. Is the 4gb 760 really better than the 2gb 760 because I’ve heard rumors it cant even use the extra memory.

Ok thanks for the reply, guess I’ll go with the GTX 760 as the 970 costs a bit more than I’m willing to spend. One more question though. Is the 4gb 760 really better than the 2gb 760 because I’ve heard rumors it cant even use the extra memory.

Hi, I sometimes use over 2 GB of the 4 GB mostly using the “Experimental” feature setting and I would not go for a 2 GB card.
Especially when you use it for display too, system use 3-400 MB.
Got never problems with my EVGA 760.

Cheers, mib

reference GTX 970 4GB model from nvidia. the one with the aluminium case not the palstic ones.