How difficult would it be to render the actual grid floor in cycles.

I’m talking changing the source code in blender. Not some work around. My goal is to make blender more cad user friendly. Any help full tips or ideas in this aspect would be appreciated.

If you are a programmer, then you can download Blender source code and have a look for yourself. If you are asking existing developers to do this work, I think it would be extremely difficult, since Blender is not a CAD program, has no ambition to ever become a CAD program, and I doubt would give making ‘blender more cad user friendly’ any priority but the lowest.

There may, however, be work-arounds, so you can get your Blender to be more friendly to you as a cad user. You should consider asking for those, rather than program changes that are going against the current.

Welcome to BlenderArtists :smiley:

Yeah my mistake i should have been more clear. I am a beginner developer looking to test my skill. I’m responding to those cad users who need certain features in blender. I am using this opportunity to see if i have what it takes to become a blender dev. Im also taking this time to familiarize myself with blenders source code. By no means am i asking if anyone will do my work for me. What i am asking is ideas that would make blender better in this aspect. For instance, rendering edge lengths, adjusting the settings , fonts, size, orientation and so forth im not a cad user but would like input from cad users and developers who have some idea about the internal working of blender in this aspect. I hear freestyle may be what im after.

You could check http://www.cad4arch.com/cadtools/
Also something like ‘Render to Scale’ would be interesting to have without CAD.

you should see tinyCAD addon and also my own addons… :smiley:

scale a plane to the size of the grid. subdivide it to have each square fit the number of squares the grid has. Then add a wireframe modifier to the plane.