Grease pencil in render

Hi awesome Blender people.

I have been looking at the cool new videos of people doing 2D animations using the grease pencil and it is something I have really been searching for. I would like to make effects like the ones used in this music video:

I actually had in mind to be able to hand draw animated textures. But as I can see Blender is able to use image sequences for texture, but its not easy to keyframe and draw animated textures like that. It would would however be very poverfull to “attach” drawings (planes) moving live on motion tracked element of a video scene.

The new grease pencil stuff looks really cool though. But one thing I miss that would make it “complete” is the ability to include the grease pencil in reder layers. As of now, the only way is to GL render the viewport, which seem like a bit of a hack (because it also excludes mixing with 3D elements using cycles and other non GL rendereable stuff). Are there any plans of upgrading grease pencil to be “renderable” ?

I can render out now and include again as a image sequence, so its still cool an powerfull. But making the workflow better would be really nice :slight_smile:

/Per

Hi :slight_smile:

You can convert grease pencil strokes to curves, and then render those curves out, perhaps this would be useful? You can check out the wiki page here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Sketching/Converting_to_geometry

Not too sure how useful that’d be if you’re sketching anew each frame, but might be worth a try.

Good Luck with it
Jamie