Animation help needed

Hi,

I’m trying to start animating so I’m making a little block that rolls although I’d like it so that when the animation ends it restarts but from the position it ends in.

so when he rolls over once he keeps doing it and slowly making his way further away from where he started.
Sorry if that’s hard to understand but any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

There’s 3 different stages of it, it’s all done with keyframes

OK I need a little time to put something together for you - what you have to do animate the locus (path) of the centre of the cube, it rotates about ever changing positions, subsequent corners and is constantly changing its height above ground based on a cosine variable, so the normal rules do not apply - give me a little time (I am busy with something else just now) and I will give you a solution. I am also thinking of using a Follow Path constraint to keep the centre of the cube in line while I rotate it.

Cheers. Clock.

I am actually just rigging the valve gear on a V4 - 16 Valve engine just now so don’t have my mind entirely on your issue, but here is a first stab at it, to give you some ideas. This is not he easiest thing to start animating with! Rolling a sphere is MUCH easier for your first animation…

Press Play to start, some of the bits are on level 11 (not displayed) You need to click “Jump to Start” twice to reset it, as I say I’m a bit occupied to do too much just now.

rolling-cube.blend (516 KB)

I’ll have another look tomorrow, Cheers, Clock.

Here’s a quick peek at the engine - I used a Glass/Transparent mix shader for the engine block.

just so you know what’s taking my time instead of your issue.:evilgrin:

Thanks for helping and nice engine :wink:

Thank you.

To be honest, you are not going to get this done with key framing as far as I can see. The problem is that key framing uses F-curves, which are Bezier in nature and as such do not support discontinuities, i.e. sharp corners like you have when the cube ends one roll and starts the next. If you change the curve type for the key frames from Bezier to anything else, you do not get a smooth roll over between corners touching the surface. It has taken 10 key frames just to roll over twice, imaging what a complete sequence would take, and you cannot use a cycles modifier as the cube is constantly on the move.

So I stay with my original solution of using an Follow Path constraint. This I made by “spinning” a vertex about a point, then simply copied and pasted the arch several times, removed all duplicates (This is important) and then used ALT-C > “Mesh to Curve” to make the curve. Do not “smooth” the curve or you will get a little problem between the arches. I also tried drivers, but to be honest the maths involved is pretty complicated and again. although it works fine, it is too much effort compared with the follow path option, so this I favour.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would like to hear them myself. I enclose a new blend file with a second “key framed” cube so you can see the issues with this. Hope this helps.

rolling-cube-1.blend (525 KB)

Update - here’s a solution using a NURB path - it is a little smoother.

rolling-cube-2.blend (535 KB)

Cheers. Clock.