Audio export from VSE 24 bit depth, HOW?

Hi,

I’m trying to export a movie from the VSE that has 24 bit depth audio. Whenever I analyze the export file I notice it’s continually 16 bit. Does anyone know how to change that to 24 bit? I have tried various audio codecs…no luck.

Thanks in advance.

I’m running blender 2.72 on linux, I have ffmpeg installed. I can export 24 bit audio via ffmpeg. Just not through blender for somer reason.

Thanks in advance!

Could be a limit of the ffmpeg that Blender uses, not all ffmpeg settings are available to Blender sadly.

Quick look at http://www.blender.org/api/blender_python_api_2_60_1/bpy.types.UserPreferencesSystem.html suggests that you can alter the signing at the audio mixdown button (at file export stage) on the scene properties render panel.

audio_sample_formatAudio sample format

• U8 8-bit Unsigned, Set audio sample format to 8 bit unsigned integer.
  • S16 16-bit Signed, Set audio sample format to 16 bit signed integer.
  • S24 24-bit Signed, Set audio sample format to 24 bit signed integer.
  • S32 32-bit Signed, Set audio sample format to 32 bit signed integer.
  • FLOAT 32-bit Float, Set audio sample format to 32 bit float.
  • DOUBLE 64-bit Float, Set audio sample format to 64 bit float.

Bear in mind that I don’t think that you can alter the muxed version.

yeah that’s for output, I need it for the exported file, not what i hear. thank you though.

THERE’S GOT TO BE A WAY!!

Whoa whoa whoa, WAIT!

How did you get that option? I don’t have a mixdown option. All mine’s says is Audio codec, bitrate, and volume. Is there a setting you had to adjust to make the additional options like mixdown appear?

Thank you

in the Render buttons you should see three options side by side: Render, Animation, and Audio. Press Audio and it will bring up the export window. In the bottom left are the mixdown options.

Thank you! Although, that didn’t work affect the transcoded output. I think this is a must have feature to enable for professional purposes. If you want to export something a video with audio from blender, let’s say as a intermediate file or archival file. You’ll want the highest quality. 24 bit audio is something a lot of broadcasting/screening platforms ask for. I wonder if it would be possible to mess with the python scripting to change the output bitrate?