2D Monitor/HUD from rendered second scene?

I want to have an animation that includes a 2D monitor/HUD with various displays, dials etc. I could do this with animating physical meshes directly in place, but of course this would be “Fake” 2D. I suppose it would be directly related to the possibility of having a “CCTV” style monitor that just displays another camera.

I could do the animation separately, and use a video texture, but it’d be great if I could animate this in sync with the rest of the animation; e.g. I am imagining having a separate scene with an orthographic camera that renders to something that is effectively used as a texture. I have no idea if this is possible or even how to set it up if it is, and googling around hasn’t given me any enlightenment - the only references I could find were for people using the game engine. Assuming this is possible, is it also possible to use e.g. a different renderer, as a 2D display wouldn’t probably want to be rendered in cycles.

Otherwise, I could see manually rendering the separate display screen, but it’d be nice If I could somehow set up the workflow to automatically e.g. render the second scene, then the first using the output from the second.

Is this at all possible, or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

P.S. Apologies if this is not the correct forum, Since I don’t know how to do it/the exact terminology, I wasn’t sure.

I did something similar in the video below. Originally I wanted to do it like you want to, in another scene file and import it. But I ended up just rendering it out with an orthographic camera and applying it as a video texture applied to the moving plane. It was easy, even if it does limit your ability to make changes on the fly.

Steve S