Cloth Simulation : Enabling self collision results in cloth distortion

I am modeling a garment, for which I use cloth modifier with the “Cotton” preset. When I do not use self collision, it works okay, but it’s not perfect because then cloth self-penetration happens and it doesn’t look real.
But when I enable cloth collision, it gives a weird effect where the cloth “explodes”; kind of like the cloth repels itself. And this results in a distorted result. I played around a lot with the minimum distance setting , but any distance value gives a similar distorted result.

Below are the screenshots:

In rest state:

End result after simulation , with self collision DISabled. As you can see, the right pleats are created properly and is close to what I want. But notice that cloth penetration is also seen:

End result after simulation , with self collision ENabled. As seen, it looks like the cloth is trying to repel itself at the cylindrical body area. And this happens right from frame 1, as soon as simulation is started:

My cloth ​settings are at default, didn’t change anything. Self collision quality is 1 and I tried values of distance from 0.5 to 1, but nothing works.

Please ALWAYS supply an example blend file with support questions. How is anyone supposed to replicate your scene exactly to enable testing

Hi Richard,
I was running a script, so hadn’t saved the blend file. Anyway, I’ll provide the .blend files next time.

However, there is an issue. For me, self collision works fine until a threshold on the number of faces on the cloth plane. If I increase the number of faces a lot by subdividing, cloth self collision gives the results I’ve pasted above. I think very high tesselation results in getting the cloth particles “too close” to each other.