Vray for Blender

Hi,

Does anyone know what Vray for Blender Costs, i.e. Vray Standalone. It’s surprisingly hard to find out.

Thanks, Jay.

Vray standalone 350€, I think its v2.x. http://www.weltenbauer.com/software/chaosgroup/chaosgroup-v-ray-promo.html

for testing you can use maya vray demo version, standalone is as specified above
you can get Blender VRay version at Chaos (register on forums & you’ll get access to nightlies)

JuhaW, That’s less than I thought, but probably more I can afford just now, thanks :wink:

bunrin, Good tip.

I do not know about Ireland but here if you call a reseller they will let you try the full version for one month. They sent me a dongle, 3 years ago.

They’d probably charge double here :wink:

I’ve contact some resellers, (only one in Ireland) - I’ll see what they say.

Also read from some users it’s a pain to set up too. I would love opinions from users!

Hmm. Don’t know about the upcoming vray 3.0, but from my experience with vray 2.0 and vray/blender I can honestly say that I never had any setup issues:
You install the dongle drivers, the license server and vray/blender. Then you plug in the USB dongle, launch the license server and start Blender… Does that qualify as “pain to set up”?

That’s me speaking about Windows, btw. Can’t really say what it’s like to set up on Linux / Mac.

What’s your opinion on using vray IkariShinji with blender? pros, cons?

To be honest, I didn’t use it that often since I bought it years ago and that dongle is mainly gathering dust.
My main 3D app of choice back then was MODO with its inbuilt preview renderer and soon I realized I couldn’t work without a rendered preview for material creation any more. So, my interest turned more and more to render engines that could offer me exactly that, like Octane, Cycles and Thea.

vray/blender back then always meant firing a test render just to see how a material looked like - cumbersome - although the implementation of the exporter otherwise was very well done. I understand that vray 3.0 is finally going to offer a powerful and working interactive render mode and the vismat support could be a game changer (if it really comes). Will have a look when it’s done, if an upgrade is worth my while. Don’t do ArchViz that much and I’m already starting to drown in render engines I bought a license for over the years…:smiley:

Im used vray 3.0 RT on blender.
The gpu processes everything for me.
100% functional… Materials, nodes, particles, bla bla bla.

Here images of my first project in vray blender today.

Looks cool :o)

Any day now, v.3 Standalone will be published. No price change. If you buy v.2 now, you’ll get free upgrade to v.3 (or just wait few more days).

I think VRAY remains the king for interiors for CPU rendering untill the big TITAN 2 maxwell in 2016 then we talk a different ball game.

For reality and natural light fidelity with CPU only the king is Maxwell render.

Octane render sits well in between so far.