Automatic Weighting

I am using the Pichipoy variant of Rigify. I Did weighting of head and body using Automatic Weighting. The vertices in the edge of the neck are coincident with the vertices in the body and yet it appears as if they didn’t get the same weighting. Two questions:

1. Why? The vertices match perfectly.
  2. What is a quick fix to get them weighted the same?

Thanks.

Neilford

Attachments

A mesh must be “Manifold” that is have no openings to be properly weighted in Blender using AutoMajic weights…

AutoMajic weights only get you in the ball park… you are still going to have to do some weight painting/ weight asigning…

Thanks. But the head and body are separate objects, therefore there is an " opening " at the neck of each object. Do these constitute " opening "(s) make the meshes nonManifold? Thanks.

Neilford

Postscript:

Is there a way to copy the weights from one mesh to the other through the vertices?

Yup.
This was all I had to say, but the forum demands more. :slight_smile:

Is there a way to copy the weights from one mesh to the other through the vertices?

It would be easier to just join the two meshes into one and weld the head onto the body. CTRL J to join the meshes, Alt M in edit mode to merge the vertices.

Exactly what I was about to say when Mrs. Clockmender told me my dinner was ready…

In case of doubt - I agree with the honourable Mr. DanPro.

Cheers. Clock.

It it would be if I didn’t have a bunch of meshes of heads with different expressions that I built in zbrush. I tried this method and it did work, but I had to use the entire mesh for each face shape and that adds a lot to the file each time I add a shape. I also tried, just creating a shape key, but the tools are very limited for sculpting the expression. In order to use sculpt tools, I had to duplicate mesh. Sculpt it, and join shape which increased file size. Thanks.

Neilford

I think there is a way to copy the weights on the neck ring of head to neck ring of body. When I tried, it failed. How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Neilford

How do you intend to morph between different expressions if each one is a different mesh?

You can create shape keys by joining shapes.

Neilford

you could create a separate mesh using retopology to make your shape keys match your sculpted heads…
saving each shape key then importing in your next sculpt model and creating a new shapekey and retopo again…

once you’ve done them all you have all your shape keys that match your sculpts…

From my background in other 3d softwares, the head is a separate geometry when using blendshape animation. This is to minimize how much geometry you have to add to file, possibly, making it very large. This holds up in blender because when created a shape geometry in zbrush and loaded it in, the size of the file increased, even after deleting the shape geometry after shape key was made. What I have been looking for is a way to copy weights between head neck and body neck which share same place in space, but seem to get different weighting in Automatic Weights. Copying weights from one to the other failed, although I don’t know why.