Blender HoloLens integration

Hi. Didn’t seen a similar post around here.

Recently Microsoft announced HoloLens, a new AR device, and showcased some 3D modelling capabilities. What if this device could be integrated with Blender ?

Their 3D/art creation presentation didn’t inspire much confidence in it being anything more than a gimmick for 3D modeling, at least in its current iteration. The other stuff they showed looked really cool, but 3D requires very fine control of small points in space, and I don’t see anyone overcoming that limitation any time soon for anything more complicated than kitbashing a few pre-made primitives together.

But what if this tech is combined with Kinect sensors ? Kinect could enhance the precision . Could it work well, at least for sculpting ?

Well, think of it like this. Hololens is a nifty 3D display device. It does not solve the input problem at all, from what I can tell. As m9105862 said, you still need some tool to do the precise work. Kinect is not considered a great way to sculpt or anything else right now (AFAIK) so I don’t think adding hololens is going to help that.

I bet Blender could output video to the Hololens at some point, the question is still what you’re going to use for input. Hell, mouse/keyboard might still be best, it would still be a neat way to work.

I don’t know the exact capabilities of this device, but from what I have read about it so far it looks interesting. If you could track your fingers/hand or a hand held pencil or something I can imagine very interesting setups. For instance if you had a cleared off table/desk you could draw with your finger/device an outline and then extrude them up out of the surface top. Or draw a pattern for a rotation surface, etc. with all the tools you would normally have, like snap to grid or rectangle/line drawing. It would be really cool if you can assign a 3d volume as a place for a specified work type or category. This half of the table is for building new objects, the other half for assembling the scene, etc. You could have tool icons displayed on the work surface or even suspended in mid air.

Having the interface tied down to a surface would, I think, help with the whole hands in the air problem and all that entails.

Wouldn’t this be a great way to work with Blender?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W97LCtOSXPY&feature=youtu.be&t=8s

Windows has n’t actually got Holograms.

Its just another Nazi program with no real relationship to the real world.

What technology there was about holograms was destroyed by them being used on bank notes for ’ security '.

( A typical circular argument from the UK powers that be.)

Do you actually use Blender to do anything? Microsoft knows where it can stick its ’ power '.

Wow. You´re actually comparing Microsoft to Nazis…

MODERATION
Threads merged

I am saying the ’ hands-on ’ is another Nazi like internet based program.

See;-

Its not a Hologram.

Its similar to Googles disgraced glasses except that they sense your hands as well.

Its clearly a spin off from the US military, which had said it had developed something like them and of no use except for copying peoples hands.

The US military were stopped from using them by US and International laws.

Its just another ‘Urban Myth Internet Bandwagon’ …and harmful to Blender.

Dear user smith123,

never heard talking about the “Godwin’s law”?

Bye

There are still an awful lot of Nazis about.

" Its just another ‘Urban Myth Internet Bandwagon’ …and harmful to Blender. "

Smith123, you only have a small amount of posts on this forum, so hopefully you’ll find it useful if I tell you I don’t feel your posts add to this discussion. If you’ll analyse previous reponses to you, it would seem they feel similarly.

You ramble, make little sense, throw around a few unsourced claims, and seem to get a bit too angry about a pair of glasses made by Microsoft.