Is there any way to speed up ik solving?

I’m finding Blener’s IK really slow on my machine. It lags far behind my mouse pointer. Is there any way to speed it up? I can hide all my geometry in the scene and it performs pretty much the same.

Thanks for any help.

You have asked your question in the wrong section. I am going to assume that you have the subsurf modifier on. Take a look at it and find the part on the modifier that has the eye symbol. Click it off. When it comes to viewing animation or creating poses, never ever let the eye stay on.

Sorry, I figured if anyone would know, it would be an animator.

I have turned off subsurf. I’ve even gone as far as to hide ALL geometry and I still get a serious lag on IK. I’m using the Rigify rig if that helps.

Can you upload the file to the forums? I will need to take a look at it.

Thank you for looking at it! Here’s the blend file I’m working with…

ZombieKiller_v018.blend (7.95 MB)

Now, I got it! The only thing that was holding you back was the particle system. It was still active in the viewport. If you are planning on not animating the hair or using any physics on the model, click the eye off at the particle system modifier.

OMG… thank you so much! Soooo much better now. :slight_smile:

That’s odd. My first thought was also to turn off the particle system but it changed nothing. The sub-surf modifier was the problem however, like you suggested it could be. When OpenSubdiv is in Blender, one shouldn’t experience any lag with such a low sub-surf. But for now just hide it.

That’s true, but unless you have a PC that has production based specs, on the average PC, the particle system will always slow down the performance of the PC or Mac. The computer will also slow down depending on how many vertices or polygons are on the scene.

Tommy, if you have a graphics card, you will have to change it when you first open Blender. Just go to the user preferences, select the system options and under Compute Device area, change it to CUDA. That way every time your PC or Mac renders, it could improve the speed depending on the product device.