Camera & Lamp Control System

I am having issues with Rotational Control of the Cameras and Lamps.

I use the N Panel Rotation Panel for Manually determining the XYZ Rotational Angle of the Cameras and Lamps.

I find that the N Panel Rotational Coordinate Values are inconsistent.

I am currently making a “Camera & Lamp Control Test” Project specifically for this Topic Thread.

At this time, I have Screenshots only for the Camera Control; and, will be making Screenshots for the Lamp Control.

This Rotational Control Issue applies to both the Camera and the Lamp; but, the Camera is more complex because the placement of the Top Edge is more critical with the Camera than with the Lamp; because, the Lamp is an Omni-Directional (as far as Top & Bottom & Left & Right are concerned) Light Source.

On some Blender Projects, I get lucky with the N Panel Rotational System; thus, don’t need to spend alot of effort getting the Angles just right.

On some Blender Projects, I have no such luck; and, spend alot of time trying to get the right angle; but, never achieving it.

I will be Posting alot of Images concerning this issue for clarity.

Original Camera Settings
[ATTACH=CONFIG]356763[/ATTACH]

Original Lamp Settings
[ATTACH=CONFIG]356765[/ATTACH]

The Test Object has a strange shape so that the Viewer can easily distinguish the Front View from the Back View from the Top View from the Bottom View from the Left & Right Views.

The Test Object is in a Top & Bottom & Front & Right Quad-View for the purpose of detailing the Test Object 3D Shape.

In the future Screenshots, the Bottom View will be the Camera View.

BASIC CAMERA ROTATIONAL ORIENTATION VALUES

X Rotational Value

Y Rotational Value

Z Rotational Value

LEFT SIDE (DRAFTSMAN) OBJECT ORIENTATION CAMERA VIEW ROTATIONAL VALUES

Basic X=0:Y=0:Z=0 Rotational Values

X=0:Y=90:Z=90 Rotational Values

X=90:Y=0:Z=90 Rotational Values

The X=90:Y=0:Z=90 is the Correct Camera Rotational View.

However based on the Basic Camera Rotational Values, one would think the Y=90 would be one of the correct Rotational Values; but, it isn’t.

“Correct” by which standard?
If you had placed the camera on the negative Y, 90/0/0 would have been the “correct” rotation. It’s all relative…

How so? If 0/0/0 has the camera facing straight down, 0/90/0 would just tilt it to the left with width and height reversed.

Care to elaborate what exactly your issue is? I just don’t get it:
What is it you want to achieve? And how does the camera rotation system stop you from doing so?

When you set the camera to X=0/Y=0/Z=0 the rotation order changes, since camera is facing down in Z direction the rotation order becomes Z/Y/X , so change the rotation order in that black long button under rotation to ZYX Euler or whatever order you prefer.
So it’s all obut the camera direction even though you set it at 0/0/0 in real world the camera has a rotation on at least two axis, so whichever camera directon is, that becomes the first value you change to get the correct view

Left Side (Draftsman) Object Orientation Camera View Rotational Values

maybe that was my mistake in not highlighting the Posting Title

maybe I should have used the title
LEFT SIDE (DRAFTSMAN) OBJECT ORIENTATION CAMERA VIEW ROTATIONAL SYSTEM

I can’t Color Text; so, that ain’t gonna happen.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

“Correct” for the Graphics that I am trying to create; and, not for the Graphics you want me to create with this Test Project.

I used the title “Left Side (Draftsman)”; because, in Professional Drafting, that view is called the “Left Side View”; while, the Blender System calls it the “Right Side View”. :cool: :RocknRoll:

A Global axis vs Local axis issue I think. I’m short of time and only scanned through your posts.

The Transform panel transforms the location rotation and scale of an object on the global axes.

The camera’s local axes are Y-Pan X-Tilt Z-Rotate. With an object selected (the camera in this case) enable Properties (editor not the shelf) > Object > Display > Axis and you’ll see its local axes displayed.

If using the 3D manipulator widget you can change its transformation orientation (global, normal, etc) in 3dview header. Also shift select the manipulator icons to see all handles at once (translate, rotate, scale). Hold shift then grab a handle to exclude an axis.

And lots more…

I hope that helps.

-LP

Edited that second sentence above. I wouldn’t doubt I still screwed this up.

Blender has been making a monkey outta me lately. But I’m used to it now.

-Larry

okay…I need to Edit the Previous Images by Cropping them with MS Paint. That way, the N Panel Numbers can be seen better; and, all of the non-essential Blender Application Data is eliminated from the Images.

I have problems with using the Rotational Widget.

It is easier just to input the number on the N Panel; but, I am getting inconsistent results with the Number Inputs. I have to use the Quad-View just to see how the Camera is behaving; then, adjust my Number Inputs to get the results that I really want.

I have flown R/C Airplanes; thus, I am familiar with the difference between My XYZ Orientation and an Airplane’s XYZ Orientation. Thus, I created the following Images for the purpose of determining which XYZ Rotational Orientation System is being used with the Blender Cameras & Lamps.

I had to break out my notes for “Introduction To Aircraft Performance, Selection, & Design” by Francis J Hale ©1984 John Wiley & Sons, Inc for the Aircraft XYZ Axis Orientaion. I rented the book from a Public Library; so, I had only a week or two to make Study Notes of the Preface and Introduction Chapter.

Aircraft As Camera #1

Aircraft As Camera #2

Aircraft As Camera #3

Blender may be using a different XYZ Axis Orientation System for the Cameras and Lamps than for this Airplanes; but, that is irrelevant to this Posting.

I’m sorry for not helping better in my last.

You want to rotate the camera on its local axis (whatever that is as per the orientation option -default is XYZ Euler). There is no panel for that. You have to use the 3D manipulator widget or use shortcuts. You can set the manipulator widget to match the object’s local axis (local or normal setting).

To use shortcuts to transform an object on the local axes you double-up the axis input. Example: r > x > 90 > enter will rotate the object 90 degrees on the global x axis. r > xx > 90 > enter will rotate it on its local x axis.

Using the transform panel (global axis) sometimes works because the object just happened to have that local axis aligned with the global axis. That’s probably apparent to you now. Turn on the axis display of the object as I mentioned earlier and do some rotations on the local axis while watching that Transform panel and visa versa. That’s what I was hoping you’d do in my last but I wasn’t clear about that global transform panel which is the cause of the confusion. My bad.

-Larry

I just noticed post #13 so my last may seem disjointed.

-LP

Unless you mean the Left Hand Panel; which, I have on “Grease Pencil” in the Image.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

no…no…no…That’s not correct.

The World Control Setting is on the bottom.

?Do you mean this?

I don’t touch the Property > Transform XYZ Panel; because, that is the same Data as the N Panel.

?Mess with another Window Panel Control System when it is on the N Panel? Working with the N Panel is great; except, for trying to figure out the XYZ Rotational System.

I found the XYZ Display Feature.

It helps alot.

I’m using it on a Lamp atm.

Hmmm, I was right. I was screwing this up. Those Transform > Rotation panels don’t work as I said.

Further testing caused me to do what I should have done in the first place (RTM).

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Transform_Control/Transform_Properties

Under Transform Properties panel in Object mode: Rotation X, Rotation Y, Rotation Z: you’ll see the statement…

“The object’s orientation, relative to the global axes and its own center.”

“its own center” means its local axes. That hurts my brain. Here’s more info in this area. About the manipulator too:

https://www.blender.org/manual/3d_interaction/transform_control/transform_orientations.html
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Pepribal/Ref/Appendices/Rotation
https://www.blender.org/manual/3d_interaction/transform_control/manipulators.html

Now is usually the time somebody posts after me and explains it all in a clear and concise manner.

Or maybe they already have…

When you set the camera to X=0/Y=0/Z=0 the rotation order changes, since camera is facing down in Z direction the rotation order becomes Z/Y/X , so change the rotation order in that black long button under rotation to ZYX Euler or whatever order you prefer. So it’s all obut the camera direction even though you set it at 0/0/0 in real world the camera has a rotation on at least two axis, so whichever camera directon is, that becomes the first value you change to get the correct view.

Now I remember why I ignore and don’t use the rotation transform setting/indicators in the panels except to check if meshes have rotation at the object level (usually a bad thing). Rotating objects visually with manipulator or shortcuts is the best method to use and nevermind the resulting numbers in those panels. Btw when rotating with manipulator or shortcut/mouse hold Ctrl for easy precision (look lower left 3Dview for angle display while rotating).

I feel like I really stepped in it here. Not fun. Seems like there’s a whole thread on this subject here somewhere from a few years ago. Maybe you can search it out. I’m burnt and I’m done.

-LP

@LarryPhillips

LOL

Your “Axis Display Feature” Posting was a major help on this issue.

“ramboblender” Post #6 wasn’t helpful at first; because, it was too confusing. It was only after reading the following Postings that Post #6 became clearer.

I am currently working on making Images specifically for responding to Post #6.

I didn’t say this in Post #18; but, “Thanks”.

Concerning Image #2 in Post #17, there are different Axis Settings to use; and, how they work is unknown to me at this time.

I don’t know if that is the problem you are having or not. I am using Blender V2.72. I don’t know what Blender version you are using…Probably not V2.72; thus, the Control Arrangement may be different with your from mine.

In my Grid Topic Thread, Blender V2.73 has a Global Background Feature that V2.72 doesn’t have.

If you are using an older version of Blender than what I am using; then, maybe you don’t have the XYZ Rotational Control Ability that I do have. I am too new to Blender to know for sure about this.

NOTE: The XYZ Coordinate C-Subscript is to identify the that the Camera is the Active Object; and, not to identify the Camera’s XYZ Location Coordinates; and/or, the Camera’s Rotational Coordinates.

AIRPLANE AS CAMERA IMAGE #7

AIRPLANE AS CAMERA IMAGE #8

AIRPLANE AS CAMERA IMAGE #9

?huh?

?Can you explain how to reorientate these three Airplanes (aka Cameras) to facing the Human; while, using the N Panel XYZ Rotation Section; and/or, using the Properties-Object-Transformation Panel Section?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]357641[/ATTACH]

Read my post again and you shall find the answer, direction = change XYZ Euler.
If you looking to rotate by typing exact numbers… well good luck with that.
@ @LarryPhillips wait for me :).