Cuda error: launch exceeded timeout in cuCtxSynchronize()

Hi there blender friends! I have this message popping up, I haven’t the faintest idea what it means. I have an intel q6600, 4gb ram, and a motherboard with a 16x 2.0 pcie slot and an nvidia gtx970 4GB gpu. I am running the latest stable release (2.73) and using linux mint 17.
I have a animation that peaks out at aproximately 3600MB. The message popped up after rendering 150 frames or so, then blender kept failing each time I restarted the rendering. After rebooting the computer it worked again for about 30 frames more and the message reappeared. I rebooted, rendered one more frame and the message appeared again. I have baked one of the particle systems to see if that made a difference and I am waiting to see what happens. The animation still has a couple of days left to render, but if this error keeps popping up it’s going take much longer, as I am not constantly watching the machine to see if it requires attention.
Any feedback would be of great help. And thank you all for such a great forum. It’s so cool I pop in every day.

See wiki page for cycles gpu rendering http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/GPU_Rendering for possible solutions

Nothing very specific there I’m afraid. Thanks anyway.
After baking one of the particle systems the rendering it still working, for the moment at least. I’ve got another 30 frames or so. The peak ram is about 1gb now instead of way over 3gb. If the error occurs again, I will try and reduce the tile size (as some of the solutions for other similar messages suggest).
Just to add a bit more about the symptoms before the error occurred. As I saw the tiles appear as they got rendered, it suddenly got stuck on one for much longer than ussual, and after a minute or so the message appeared. The render was aborted. If I tryed to restart the render, the particle system behaved erratically. Rebooting and reloading the file solved the problem.
Anyhow, I doubt I’m going to get a solution for it. It’s probably one of those of many problems that happen. It could be something specific to the .blend file I’m working on, or it could be my hardware starting to fail somewhere,… who knows? If it’s the hardware I hope it’s not the gpu (it’s new). If it’s the pc, well, it’s a good excuse to get a new one!!!

Oh dear! It’s failed again right now. While I was writing the previous post. I’m going to reduce the tile size and see what happens.

Reduced the tile size, failed again. :no:

Deleted all the cache from .config/blender/2.73/cache/ and running again…

Failed once more. I “muted” the particle system. And it seems to work now. For the moment. I let it work see what happens.

I’m having the same issue. I also have a particle system, so it might be related to that. Rendering in Cycles.