A WIP if there ever was...

My Great White North blend…hopefully I have successfully packed all the files…This is just a walk thru now. But I like it.
Please let me know if you can access it…and how much you think it sucks…thanks in advance

just hit P and navigate using arrow up and down and left and right. spacebar is jump.

Or maybe this link will work

I like it, it reminds me gothic 2. I saw two small issues - maybe they works as intended, I don’t know. The skybox doesn’t follow the active camera. It might be on purpose but then you can actually walk into the horizon and beyond. It’s weird. The snow effect is a bit “snappy” when the player doesn’t move, you got a sort of low frame gif sensation.

How is a WIP, is nice, especially the textures of the skybox and the ground.
As noted IGP, the snow falling is strange. Maybe use a softer scheme. I leave here the link of a blend with the scheme that usually use for snow and rain.

Thanks, the snow texture is a alpha project. I am thinking of using a tube to make it. Figure out how to make the walking on the ice hard and slippery. And make a couple of objects, an ice rider to got across the ice and a boat to go across the sea. and a cave.
Thanks for checking it out.
baal

pgi, yes I have noticed this, Maybe I need to make the outer sphere static, with collision bounds,

That gives me frame rate of 20 in the blender game engine.Why is the frame rate so crappy?Snow in the blender game engine is something i wanted for a long time.But i did not know how to do it.Plus i cannot see the ground when i put a plan in the scene.

@Lostscience, that’s weird. I have a low end ati card on linux (in practice my system is hand drawing 3D stuff) and I have 60fps. Do you have any weird spikes in physics or logic (activate Framerate and Profile to check)?

Logic is at 17 and physics is at 24.When i add the ground plane it decreases.Did you try that?

Two questions: are we’re talking about RainAndSnow.blend and 17 and 24 are milliseconds or percentages?

@ Baal: I can’t get your original file from dropbox. So I can’t really comment on it. You could try mediafire. I’ve never had trouble with that site… I’d like to see it.

@ firefox.jco: The snow is really nice. I’ve used a similar version before.
The following screen shot shows different settings, I set the snow to no collision (unless you want it to hit people) and got a really good framerate, while setting it to dynamic/ghost and giving it a max velocity of 1 (which seemed like a good idea, the physics engine should do a better job than a simple motion actuator after all) really dropped the ball.

EDIT:
off topic from the OP.

The snow is amazing, but the downloads are 404!

Oops!

The lovely snow has highjacked Baal’s WIP. Let’s not talk about it any more.
Anyway, any chance of getting the WIP download links working, so we can check it out?

Here is the picture of the framerate i get with snow with no collision.It is the rain and snow blend.

The only thing that comes to my mind is “that’s weird!”. Why so much % spent on logic and scenegraph?

smoking mirror, I organized my drop box and that must have broke the link.
I think this should work.

bumpy da bumpty da bump dee da bump

Cool . I’ll take a look tonight after work.

EDIT:
I had a look and it’s a nice wintry scene.
I agree about the snow, the tube of snow you have would work better if it was extended so that we can’t see the ends, or try firefox.jco’s snow example.

For the textures in the game, I think you could get better results using UV mapping rather than global mapping. You could also try projection painting to paint the landscape, or texture splatting with nodes. There are some tutorials around for both those methods. They would get rd of the sharp contrast between rocks and snow.

Thanks smoking mirror,

I will continue to work on the snow. I had it once, but then I couldn’t get it back. Sometimes I think that Blender has a mind of its own. It seems to work different from moment to moment.
I tried to uv map but it when i mapped globally, it looked better.
But then again it is just a sucky WIP. I need to figure out how to make it slip and slide when it walks on the ice…That is my next project.

thank you.