FPS Survivor: AI_Survivor [Free downloadable demo available]

Hey guys,

I have recently joined blenderartists and thought I would share the game I am working on in the blender game engine. It’s basically a survivor FPS, where you fight constant waves of enemy that increase in difficulty. It’s set in the future when AI have taken over. The theme I’m going for is British/evergreen scenery.

Visit my site to see more pictures/videos. Links are at the bottom.

Progress so far:
Basic logic in place. (Enemies spawn, player can fire weapon and kill enemies. New wave starts when current finishes with a break in between. Enemies chase the player around the map).
Enemy bots
First map finished.
Basic menu system in place to access multiple levels.
Basic HUD
Pick ups
UPDATE: Turrets and EMP’s!!

Things to do:
More levels!
Complete menu/credit screens.
Add extra functionality. (More than one weapon, traps etc).
Final HUD design.

Demo download link (PC) TESTED: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3fNHFFEy8SKbFhoa2dwZjRuQ28/view?usp=sharing
Demo download link (Linux 32) TESTED: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3fNHFFEy8SKeE5DN0ExSVY1MVk/view?usp=sharing
Demo download link( Linux 64) TESTED: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3fNHFFEy8SKQXhwQmxycUxpVHc&authuser=0

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/AI-Survivor/1535154213427894?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
3DSquirrel forrum WIP thread: http://www.3dsquirrel.co.uk/forums/topic/3645-blender-game-engine-survival-game/
Steam concept page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=372028690

Attachments

In readiness for starting the next map, I’ve pulled a load of images together to create a mood/inspiration wall to help with the overall theme of the game and the future maps.

This can help give you an idea of what theme I’m going for.

A gun I’ve been working on for the game:

I’ve been doing a bit of concept art for the next map I’ll be working on. Unfortunately, my concept art isn’t very good, but should hopefully give you an idea of what I hope to achieve with this map.

The map is to be an large outdoor area, with cave interiors. With a huge destroyed bridge towering over the player/map. I would like this to be a map that is nice to look at and interesting. The huge destroyed bridge will be the centerpiece, along with crashed cars and other signs of chaos. Combined with a pretty evergreen environment.

Progress of the new map:

Attachments

Nice work. Looking forward to more.

Why do you have to many point lamps?

Looks great, nice job. And it’s a single player fps (finally, we must put a stop on this multiplayer fps madness). Keep in mind: bge also works on linux. Let’s not start with the exe thing…

Thanks blenderrendersk :slight_smile:

Hey, Those are just temp lights while I work on the map. I’ll set up the proper lighting when the map is ready.

Hey pgi, good shout on linux. I have had that at the back of my mind. From what I have very briefly read online, I’m lead to believe that it’s not a huge undertaking to port BGE to linux. So thats certainly on the table! Thanks for the support! :slight_smile:

How do you think I should handle the AI on this map in regards to the trees? Should I go through the effort of making sure they don’t go into the trees, take the easy route and just let them go through the trees, or just move the trees out of the way completely? I like the trees how they are for aesthetic purposes, but I can see them giving me a few technical difficulties later down the road.

A new map is nearly finished for A.I Survivor. This map will take you outside in a large valley, dwarfed by a huge destroyed bridge that towers over you. Explore outside, or venture in to the caves. This map will be very pleasant to view, as well as play in.

Go to my site aisurvivor.wordpress.com to see more pictures!

Congratulations for the great work here.
I found the palette of creative colors. Tired of seeing so many games looking exactly the same, as if from an industrial assembly line. Take the case of Dying Light: It is very beautiful and detailed and great gameplay, but compared to the alpha Dead Island 2, does not seem very different, the visual aesthetic is almost equal.
I like devs who venture out of the comfort zone.
To get an idea’m having more fun with the demo of the game Mars from last BGMC Smoking_Mirror.
Waiting for the opportunity to play the game.

Hey Firefox. Thank you very much for the encouraging feedback :slight_smile:

I’m glad you picked up on the colors. I’ve been very careful when creating the maps/guns etc to choose the right colors and feels. I’m using what little knowledge I have about photography/composition etc to create a visually appealing game and to keep a consistent feel across all the maps.

I would like to release a demo here at some point. I’m really trying to iron the details out as I go. So many independently developed games are quite…rough/poor quality. I want this game to have a good quality feel to it, despite developing the game on my own. I’m sure any Half-life players will understand that. Its not a technical masterpiece, but it has such a good quality feel to the game. My game most definitely won’t be sending COD for a run, but I want to try and equal that same feel of quality you get from games like HL and the like. I think it makes such a huge difference to a game.

I’ve been working on a turret system, so that the player can buy/place turrets to help defend themselves. This is leading to a whole pick-up/place system that I will implement in to the game.

Since beginning this game, I have become much more proficient with using python and the BGE python API, so I’m going to look at all my logic so far and try to improve/optimise where I can.

I look forward to releasing some actual gameplay footage!

Cool this video demonstrating the level of the bridge. I remembered the opening scene of Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

:smiley: Cool picture! I havnt played any HL/Portal in ages, might have to re-purchase the orange box :smiley: It’s certainly a strong inspiration for me!

it is nice work :

cloud very good - model good - water goood

Softened specular and change gun color Until it becomes a difference between the bridge

Thank you for the feedback mossa :slight_smile: I’ll keep your points in mind!

Do you think I need to add any more detail to the bridge?

Also, the cave is really bugging me. It feels too empty, I think I need to add something in there. I was thinking something along the lines of a campsite, temp base/shelter.

I’ve decided to bite the bullet and redo all the logic from scratch, now that I’m a lot more confident with the BGE/Python API.

New version:
-Much more optimised logic,
-Weapon switching (Primary/Secondary)
-Turret and other reward object placing
-I may try and make it so players can switch out their weapons for picked up/purchased weapons.
-Perks/bonuses/pickups
-Using the latest version of the well known mouselook script.

I need to do a bit of research about saving. I know BGE has some save tools, but I’m not sure how flexible they are. I would like to be able to save what maps are unlocked,scores etc. This would allow me to implement unlockable maps!

If you see distance that there are four similar colors (the bridge - the sky - the sea - and the pistol) about bridge i think you need some light when the game become dark Some details Lightwave