Reference for eyeglasses lens

I’m trying to model some glasses for an animation and need fairly correct reflections on that glasses, but I can’t figure out how to model them.
I searched on blendswap for reference models, but they all got flat glasses.
I found a cross section of some glasses

Unfortunately this only works as reference for the Z and the X axis, but I still don’t know how the shape is bended in the Y axis.
Maybe somebody know where I get the missing view or where I could find a model, which I could use as reference.

I think it’s the same, as if you just revolved the shape around the x-axis. Eyeglass blanks are circular before being cut down to size. I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure those circular blanks have the same shape regardless of which direction they’re rotated. But when they cut out your lenses, it may not be done right at the center of the disc, so your final lenses may not appear as if they came from a symmetrical disc.

Steve S

1 Like

To my knowledge they are cut so that the centre is in line with the eye looking straight forward. That’s why in by youthful days I had big frames and thick lenses, and now I have small frames and super thin lenses :slight_smile:

found this…
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Eyeglass-Lens.html

1 Like

Right. But that may not be at the center of the final lens shape. Years ago I had lenses that were large and most of that was below the optical center (so the bottom edge was very thick.) I now have much narrower (top to bottom) lenses, so they’re not as thick at the edge.

Steve S

That makes it pretty easy. Thank you both a lot.