Keep running out of disk space

I am rendering a series of pngs. Each png results in about a 3 MB file. There’s about 100 of them to do. I cleared out about 5 GB on my hard drive, way more than enough space. Every 20 or so images I run out of disk space, I clear out a couple Gigs and start rendering again, then the same thing happens. What is going on?, is there a massive temp/page file somewhere?

WIN 7 pro, rendering with GPU 780, 16 MB RAM, Blender 2.72

Edit: hmmm doing a file search reveals that each frame is creating a 200 MB BVH file, can I autodelete these with some setting?

It looks like you have bvh caching turned on. In the render tab go down to performance and uncheck “Cache BVH”. This will stop blender writing the cache to disk every time you render.

Sounds like you have ‘Cache BVH’ turned on. Uncheck the box on the ‘Performance’ tab.

…and yes, you can safely delete all those.

Ok great, thank you for that. I remember I turned it on in my default blend to speed up re renders.

I just did a search on those files, and freed up 1 TB. Woo hoo!

Doesn’t speed up renders anymore. In fact, even with an SSD, it’s still slower to read from the disk now that BVH building is multithreaded.

Good to know, I will disable it. Thanks for the tip m9105826.

I always had this feeling that I was burning through disk space faster than I should be.