How would I mask a object only to freestyle?

I have a image I am generating in blender internal,

it uses volumetrics, I don’t want freestyle to draw these objects, how can I mask them off?

grouping or something?

You can exclude a group of objects from being drawn in freestyle but they will still block other lines. You’re probably going to want to set up render layers and composite your volumetric effects in

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Compositing and Post Processing”

BPR, you know where to post support threads. Please use the correct forum.

well, the thing is there are some things in the foreground, mid-ground and background

hmmmm

here is the file I am trying to render through,

it’s a “anti-dissolve” style effect…

would I do this by doing FX layer (back) first, then freestyle layer (back)

then forground FX, then Foreground freestyle , each frame?

how do I automate that? I don’t really use the VFX side of blender that often

Attachments

logogagogo.blend (2.4 MB)

And this is why I posted in Cg discussions,

Sub forums is where unicorns go to die.

This is the correct forum for this support question.

Sub forums is where unicorns go to die.
Then it must be a crowded place since that’s where the majority of posting activity happens

Ok, so about the answer…

(Says blueprint random amongst a pile of dead unicorns)

Can we just get it fixed? I don’t think outlining volumetics and masking what is behind it is the desired behavior in 90% of use cases.

The solution is compositing and better organization of your scene. Freestyle is a post-effect. Put all of the objects you want to have outlined via freestyle on the same render layer. Objects that you don’t want outlined should be in other layers. Remember that objects can live on multiple scene layers at once. And worst case, you can treat some scene layers as mask layers for your freestyle render layer.

Ahh, just realized I can turn layers off in freestyle… Thanks Fweeb, I will try it out.