Cloth Warping Issue * Please Help*

Hello,

I am currently creating an animation for a tv segment and i need a cloth t-shirt to follow the characters movements. However it seems to be doing a number of funny things. I am still learning blender and could use some assistance with this. I have attached an example of my issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

David

Hi David,

You are not going for the strip tease animation then?! :slight_smile:

I think there are 3 things you can do to stop the cloth flying away

1/ The motion is very vigorous, this tends to stretch the cloth and pull it away from the body.
You could slow the motion when the person was reaching the limit of the twist in one direction
Almost like a little pause before the person twists back in the other direction
Change the velocity damping so the cloth then gets a chance to settle some before being pulled in a different direction

2/ Again, because motion is fast, it might be a good idea to increase the steps
This would help the cloth simulation react to the fast collision body underneath

3/ You have used the default cotton material, which is billowy.
Make the cloth less responsive to the forces by making it heavier.
That is increase the mass and structure of the cloth

Hope this helps

Martin

{For some reason this is the first post I wrote did not appear, sorry if this repeats!}

Depending on the look you are after, you could try pinning multiple parts of the shirt to the character, and leave loose parts to flow. But definitely increase the mass and the collision quality - that will kill bake times, but give a much better animation and stop the cloth from flying away (ramp it up really high because the character moves very quickly).

Looks like a pretty low-poly character as well, so there’s less geometry to collide with. You could try putting a SubSurf modifier above the Collision modifier on the character, although that will slow your simulation times as well.