New Project -- Under the Sea

I have been working on modeling a dolphin and decided to do a full scene with it.

Here is a test render

He certainly needs more glossiness so I will be working on that. I plan to have a more fish and coral reef as well. I also would like to do sun rays coming down and reflecting on the dolphin. So I will get those in the near future.

What do you guys think of this?

Lighting brings him to life, though could probably use another sharper gloss added as you mentioned for some highlight

Lighting brings him to life, though could probably use another sharper gloss added as you mentioned for some highlight

Here is an update with more high light and I also brought the camera closer. Also 100 samples as well.

Well been working on the sand for this and since it is under water I thought this would work. I will keep working on this since it looks flat to me.

Update I added the sand and more glossiness to the dolphin.

Here is an update: I have done a rock formation that will be added. More will be coming soon

I realized I didn’t post any wires so I thought I would show some of the dolphin and a different angle on the dolphin. Working with the rock now with sizing, where it goes in scene, also need to get the rock to sit more on the sand. The glossiness is to much so I will be decreasing that as well. Also I will be working on the coloring of the rock.

Would like to get some CC on this so that I can improve it. Thanks

As you can see it really looks plastic against the background.

Update I did a fish

wires

I haven’t finished the painting looks terrible but I am still working on that part.

Update

I have been trying to go for realism here and this fish isn’t cutting it for me. I have been experimenting with the nodes for the fish. I am still working on them. I am going to redo this so I can have it more realistic or at least get it as close as possible

I would appreciate any feedback on how to accomplish this.
CC will be most welcom

Another update

More will be coming soon

Update:

I have been experimenting with the nodes especially on the fish. I plan to model more fish and group them to do a particle system with them. I still want to add kelp and coral for the fish and hopefully sun rays for this.
CC are welcome

Really cool. I’d fill out the scene more. I really like the cave in the background, but it just feels like it’s dropped in otu of nowhere. I would make more of it, not enlarge it, but keep extending it making a larger an more intricate background coral/rock. The mossy rocks look great I’d make a bunch more of those. And reef fish school up in huge numbers, I’d make particle systems out the fish or linked duplicates, just make a ton of them. The coral in the foreground is nice to, but again more of it. With the exception of the dolphin take everything and make 5 times the amount of it. Then you might want to do a mist pass and fade everything into the dark blue/grey, as a fake volume absorbation of ocean water. With the increased numbers of fish you’ll get a kind of fading effect which will help show the z depth position of the fish.

The ground/sea floor should be beige, not blue? or at least it feels that way to me.

The lateral fins and tails on the dolphin are a bit too squareish, dorsal fin looks better.

Sandra is right, the seafloor would be sandy and beige here. This photoshopped example shows the emotional impact that greater numbers will have on the scene.

Photox thanks for the advice I plan to change the color of the sea floor and put in more fish and I have been working this today

another update
I change the sand suggested by Sandra Looks better now.

Also the background so it looks more like it is under the water.
CC are welcome

The scene has much better depth now… I think I would move the rock structure on the right lower into the sand, because it seems to be floating a bit. You might want to even model some small fish that travel in schools. If you do that something you might have fun with is boids in blender … google them or check the wiki.

How many samples are you using? It seems noisy. Probably you should increase that number some.

But overall big improvements, depth is much better. Still seems a bit sparse. The cave in the back needs to have it’s base pushed lower so it’s not poking out of the seafloor. It’s kind of floating in the water. It’s definitely coming together, nice work!

If you do that something you might have fun with is boids in blender … google them or check the wiki.

Harleynut97 I will check those out thanks

How many samples are you using? It seems noisy. Probably you should increase that number some.

Photox I had it at 100 which I do when I am testing the scenes out. I have increased it to 555 now. Does this need more samples.
I am creating the coral for this now and will have an update soon.

Need help to fix this.
I did a branch coral for my scene and using the particle system I modeled spikes for it and had to get to a separate file since it really
slowed my pc. Anyway, the spikes are not correct on the branch coral. I tried the Rotated on each of the axis to see if that would do it and I thought it did but upon closer inspection it didn’t do it. How do I fix that?