Physics problems

I have gotten stuck with a few issues I am having with the physics engine. I assume there are simple configurations I am missing, so yea.

1. Objects flying at high velocity clip through other objects, consistently. Ex- I have set a ball to emit form the camera forward at a linear velocity of 20. I don’t know much about the settings in the physics tab as to control this, so yea.

2. Things are not stable. Whether it is using the triangle mesh on a variety of building blocks, to having the convex hull used on a dummied down version of terrain for physics calculations, usually nothing works out as planned.
    Ex: The convex hull, when used on terrain, seems to not work at all, it places a very large margin(I turned the actual margin down to 0) around the object that pretty much pushes all other objects elsewhere, or up into the sky >.>.

Ex 2: Using triangle mesh on blocks with irregular ends, such as a block made to link to another(or appear to), simply doesn’t work. It places an awkward margin around the object, and doesn’t seem to actually resemble the mesh itself.

3)Things wig out, very much like goat simulator. Rather than block falling on to each-other normally, they will typically bolt or spin rapidly, maybe this is attributed to the object being launched at it’s velocity, but it is as slow as it can go to actually hit the block and not fall short.

Numerous other issues that are not easy to put into words happen, but since I am ignorant to the physics engines settings and other possible reasons that problems may happen, it’s possible that the 3 issues above are enough to solve these issues.

1. Use raycast, physical bullets don’t work like you think.
    When your object moves 20 units in one frame, it ignores the object at 10 units.
    Basically you always have to consider that because of framerate, movings object teleport every frame.

2-3) create simple blend examples from scratch. Post them.

I would like to see some simple .blends as well because I don’t ever really have any of these issues.

It’s weird that 20BU/s is causing clippings.

20Bu/s is 0.33 units per frame, when your object is 0.2 units (considerably large for bullets) it will clip.

I just cast a ray ahead of objects that move really fast, along the linear velocity,

It helps for shapes likebullets, but not as well for throwing stars, for them you have to cast forward from each corner,

Ray-casts, you mean in logic right? I don’t understand how that would help, like I said I don’t know much about the bullet physics engine. For some context, it is a ball being launched at the 20 bu, kind of like a person throwing a ball.

Three things here.

1). Fast moving objects can be addressed by increasing the number of substeps (world panel).
2). Irregular meshes will have more predictable physics bounds when they’re triangulated (either by way of the modifier or by way of the triangulate tool).
3). For the ‘wigging out’ part, dynamic objects using the ‘triangle mesh’ bounds as opposed to the other options will tend to be unstable. If you need complex bounds then you should use a compound setup.

ok, the rays cast forward each frame predict where the object will be NEXT FRAME.

if they hit, move the object corner that was casting the ray forward to the hitposition of the ray… and add a force to the object it stikes, and change the linV of the impactor…

basically… recalulate physics for in’beetweens.

Thanks!!

Can you make a demo?

I would be really surprised to know that bullet teleport stuff. Physics engines don’t teleport stuff, they predict collisions happening inter-frame by projecting the volume of all moving objects, checking volume-volume intersections then determining impact points and contact results (like deviations in trajectories). What happens when the process is completed is that you’ll find your object in the location it would have had as if the frame resolution was infinitely small. It is not some advanced or puzzling features, one can find it explained in basic books such as mathematics for 3d game programming.

Well, even when they don’t teleport stuff, which will lead to bugs and which not:
Assuming that the engine can handle perfectly fast moving bullets,
or assuming that there is always a margin to which it is accurate?

I think assuming, even if wrongly, that fast small things teleport is more helpful.
Saying they teleport, is easier to understand and work against than to explain deeper mechanics.
I just feel that the faster and smaller the object is, the more calculations it would need to be fully accurate.
Knowing that the physics has to fit in 16 ms, some corners might have been cut.

Or is this crazy talk :spin:…

I really do not know how bullet handles motion. I know that it has issues with small fast flying meshes. The above suggestions are ways to deal with the situation (one of them).

Make the bullet longer (bullet + blurred end (texture) fx + bullet trail). :wink:

It isn’t a bullet… It’s a ball.