Unsolvable, illogical problem

Hello Artists!

I’ll get right to the point.

If I mark seams on the default Cube ( the one in the startup.file ) …And unwrap it. I get a certain result.
If I mark seams exactly the same way on a created cube …And unwrap it. I get another result.

The problem is the alignment of the UVs. The UVs for the startup-cube get aligned horizontally but in the created cube it gets aligned vertically.

The startup-cube to the left and a created cube ( SHIFT-A ) to the right

These are the seams I made. You can see they are the same for both the startup-cube and the created cube.

The UVs. The different results I get when unwrapping the cubes.
Remember, they have exactly the same seams.

What is it with the default/startup - cube? Why cant I unwrap the same way on a created cube? Are there any setting somewhere I missed? I even tried use the same material, and texture as the startup-cube get’s loaded by default. But it did not work.

I use Blender v2.72b

Here’s the story…

I was about to mark seams correctly for a skybox. As most people working with this will know you want the UVs in a special way. You want it in a cross-shape. …but the cross-shape rotated 90 degrees CounterClockWise so it gets horizontal. I’ve attached images where you can see.
So I opened Blender. And with the startup cube I marked the seams, Unwrapped it, and all went perfectly. :slight_smile: I got the UVs like you wanted. I made sure I knew where the front-face were ( by using the front view numpad-1 ) so the seams where placed at the right places.

But when I later worked on a project creating a skydome/sphere to be used for an environment-projection onto a cube. For later be used for my skybox. …I made all this and got the environment-textures saved. …Later I had a project where I wanted my skybox. So I opened it, created a cube ( You know SHIFT-A, and choose Cube ) and marked the seams exactly the same way you should, unwrapped it, but noooo. The UVs were aligned different, they were vertical?

I’ve tried, and tried, and tried. Looked everywhere for some settings to change. Goggled my self to death. I even reloaded Blender and in the startup-file I did the seams and unwrapping on the default cube, and VOILA I got the right result.
Fine, I thought, I’ve solved it :slight_smile: But when I in the startup file creates another cube and perform the exact same procedure those UVs don’t align them selves the same.
If I duplicate the startup cube, removes the seams and reset the UVs. And then mark new seams and unwrap it. I get the right result.

I know I can rotate the UVs and by editing a little bit get the UVs to be correct. But I was just wondering why do I get these different results, when logically the result should be the same?

I’m thinking of importing the mesh with the cube from the startup-file just to get the UVs… It’s crazy this problem. :slight_smile:

Many warm hugs!
///Soulmachine!

Just tried in blender 2.73

Test 1:
Duplicate the default cube (shift+D)
Unwrapped both cubes with the same seams. The result, exactly the same UVs

Test 2:
Added another cube to the scene with Shift+A / Add Cube.
Unwrapped both cubes with the same seams. The result, exactly the same UVs

Did you mark the seams from the front view? Or from what view did you use as a reference point?

I noticed If I mark the seams from left view on the added cube. I get a horizontal alignment.
To get a horizontal alignment on the startupcube I need mark the seams from the frontview.
So for me, I need do the seams from different views. It’s strange?

This is what I did, unwrapped both objects the same way and gave the same result http://screencast.com/t/e2wBlKOf